Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Detective Carson's POV

I sat down on a very small bench near the cafeteria, handing her a small packet of tissues. She glances at me when I sad smile.

"Thanks." She whispers, gently taking the tissues from my hand. She wipes a tear that threatens to slip down her cheek, her buttoned nose pink from all the crying she's been doing.

She nibbles her bottom lip, gripping the tissue in her hand. Her cheeks turn red and two tears drip out of her eyes. Sniffling, she rubs her nose and let's out a deep sigh.

I clear my throat, reaching behind to play with the small strands of hair tickling my neck. "So...how long have you known Mrs. Nicholson?"

"Hope?" Her brown eyes meet mine when she looks up at me. She bats her curled, incredibly long lashes at me, eyeing the hand placing on my neck.

"Yeah." I sit up straight and look away from her.

"Um..3 years now." She brings her legs up to her stomach, leaning back against the wall. She struggles with pulling down her skirt, sucking her teeth as she holds her skirt down from going up.

"Here." I shrug off my coat and place it in her lap, covering her thighs and legs.

She let's out an unexpected gasp, shaking her head. "No it's fine." She pushes the cost towards me.

"I insist, you should feel comfortable." I lean closer, my lips twitching up into a genuine smile.

I notice the way tries to hold back her smile, pursing her lips and slowly taking the coat.

"Is that..how long you've known Ronnie for?" I ask, placing my elbows on my knees as I stare into her eyes.

"No." She quickly looks down and shakes her head. "I've known Ronnie for 4 years. We met at the start of second semester of Junior year."

"Oh?" I raise my eyebrows.

"Mhm." A chuckle escapes her mouth. "We started dating 2 months after."

"Ah." I nod my head, a small frown forming. "Are you okay to head home?"

"..Yeah. Fiona wants me home for lunch by 12:00." She swings her legs over the bench, giving me a quick glimpse of her underwear.

Fuck.

I quickly look down reaching up to play with my hair again. "I'm sorry."

"What?" She asks, tilting her head.

"Um..nothing it's fine." I sigh, rubbing my sweaty palms onto my thighs before getting up. "It's almost 12:00, let's get you home."

She hands me my coat and and heads towards the elevator to our right. "This way?" She says, shivering when the cold air from the vent near her blows on her legs.

"How did you get here, to the hospital?" I ask as the doors to the elevator close.

"Didi brought me." She turns her head towards me, and I can't help but stare at her beautifully shaped lips. The light hits her cheeks, bringing out her glowing skin and long eyelashes.

Wow, she's beautiful.

"She wasn't supposed to." I slowly exhale and and close my eyes.

"Is it bad that she brought me here? Was she supposed to be doing something else?" She quickly asks, and apologetic smile on her face.

Dammit.

"Yes, she was. But you didn't know so it's fine." I sigh, letting her walk out the elevator first before I follow her out.

Didi sits up in her seat, a sheepish smile on her face. "Asherrrrrr." She stands up, placing her hands in her pockets.

"Don't." I hold my finger up, shaking my head. Turning to Morgan, I gently place my hand on her shoulder.

"You can wait outside, I need to speak to Didi." She nods, walking out of the double doors and stands next to the bench outside.

"What the hell were you thinking?" I ask as soon as she leaves.

"Why are you so maddd? She wanted to come visit." She chuckles.

"Do you know what a happened back there?" I frown, furrowing my brows and placing a hand on my hip. "She freaked out. Started screaming so fucking loud, she almost blew my eardrums. She wasn't supposed to have any visitors, not until she's completely composed."

"She begged me, Asher. She really wanted to see her." She crosses her arms, the smile on her face before completely wiped off.

"Really?"

"You think I would've came here if she didn't? She felt so bad, she just wanted to give her condolences even though she was 3 months late. You can't blame her. She didn't even know of his death until last night."

I rubbed my forehead, eventually nodding my head. "Fuck. Fine. Just..stay here while I drop her off at home?"

"Okay. But why can't I?" She hands me the car keys, glancing at Morgan outside.

"Because I told her I would. And because I fucking want to." She laughs, playfully hitting my back as I walk out the door.

"Alright let's get you home."