Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Morgan's POV

"Up here!" An officer carefully ushered Detective Carson and Didi up the large hill. I quietly munched on my crackers that I had previously bought at the convience store. Looking out the window, I watched the paramedics roll the gurney that had a body bag down the thin trail and back onto the road where the ambulance was parked.

Caution tape surrounded the bloody mess that had been made behind a large tree, probably big enough for a good spot to hide the body. I spotted a small trailer down the road, the door laying wide open.

I heard sounds of someone crying, along with cat sounds.

Huh?

I discreetly opened the door and snuck past the officers that were supposed to watching over me. The sound of my boots hitting the small rocks echoed through the empty trailer park.

I could hear it loud and clear now that I was closer. I was hesitant on going inside, especially since I've only been here once before.

When I was 9, my family went on a hike with my twin cousins. My cousins were abducted by a strange man and was kept hostage for 5 hours. His house was just past the mountains, in the middle of the woods.

Nothing happened, but I just remember the feeling of thinking that they were going to die. I couldn't breathe. I was shaking for most of the first hour. I prayed over and over again, wishing that they wouldn't die.

I apologized for all the bad things I've done when I was younger, and I just hoped he wouldn't kill them. They found them after a witness identified him, and he got 25 years since he'd done this 8 times before.

The only difference was that they were the only ones who survived. He's still in prison now, and ever since then my parents have been extremely overprotective.

The rotten smell of eggs, dead rat and blood smacked my face. I gagged, pinching my nose. I only took one look inside, and my body shut down.

There was girl not too younger than me, sitting in the corner. Blood splattered all over her face, with a shotgun in her hands. She looked ahead, staring into space.

Her dirty blonde hair was also covered in blood, her pupils dilated. Her light blue sundress stuck to her body as she dripped in sweat, quivering.

"...Shit." I hissed.

That was a bad idea.

Her body tensed along with her brown eyes darkening. She shot up from her previous position and cocked her gun.

Fuck. I shouldn't have said anything. Now I'm gonna have to deal with a trailer chick. And you never mess with a trailer chick.

"Where is she?!" She barked, ready to shoot.

My hands immediately went up beside my head, my hands shaking. "I-I..I don't know who you're talking about!"

"Answer or I'll shoot!" She says, her body still shaking.

"I don't.." I breath quickens when she points her gun at me.

I duck just as she shoots and fall down the small flight of stairs outside the trailer. The bullet hits a wooden plank outside.

"Fuck!" I screamed, falling on my back. I roll on the rocks, landing on the sand. I look up when she cocks her gun again and aims.

I roll to my right, getting a little bit of sands in my mouth. I'm too focused with the sand on me to notice that she's moved right behind me.

I spin around, and she pushes me down with her bare foot on my chest. "One last last time or I won't miss."

I feel around for my gun but can't find it. Really?

I look around the area and see it placed on the ground at the last spot she shot.

It must've fallen. Fuck me.

"I don't even know what you're talking about!" I shout. I reach for my gun, only inches away from the handle.

"Wrong answer." She whispers.

I finally grab it cocking it as quickly as I can, and get prepared to shoot.

But she's tackled just as she shoots, the gunshot ringing my ears.

I watch her face hit the ground, hearing her blood curdling screams as she shouts at the officer to get off her.

I shake in my spot, closing my eyes and sighing in her relief. "Damn." I whisper.

"Green." Somebody grabbed my elbow, yanking me up from the ground. I had my eyes trained her frightened face, blood dripping from her mouth.

She looks so familiar.

"Green."

I feel like I've seen her before, but I can't put my finger on it. She's probably just-

"Green!" Detective Carson yells, pulling me away from my thoughts.

I look up at him and observe the rage on his face. His eyebrows are furrowed with his cheeks dark red and nostrils flared.

"Are you an idiot or what?"

I pull myself together and my hearing gets back to normal. I feel around for my gun with his arm on my waist.

"M-My gun." I spot it a few feet away from us, my hand sliding down my stomach and gently pushing his arm off.

He rushes in front of me and picks it up, shaking off the sand. "What's wrong with you?"

"What?" I asked, reaching up for my gun as he holds it above my head. I frown, gripping his shoulder as a stance.

"No! You wandered off when I specifically told you to stay inside!" He huffs, holding his arm back.

"I know, just give it back!" I breathe, frustrated.

"You never listen to me!" He growls in my ear.

I roll my eyes and successfully grab the gun. I shove it in the back of my waistband, covering it with my coat. "I'm sorry."

"No seriously." He steps closer. "What if she didn't miss, huh? You would've gotten hurt. You could've died." He towers over me, his face inches from mine.

"I-"

"What you're "sorry"? Of course you're not. You never think before you do anything, Green." His breath fans over my hot face as I glance at the ground.

He sighs, taking a step back. "Are you okay?"

I nod, my eyes still on the ground. I move pieces of my hair out of my face. "Yeah, I'm okay."

"C'mon." He gently grabs my forearm and we walk back to the car.