Chapter 16

Chaptter 16

Morgan's POV

I sat on a very cold bench that reeked if alcohol and puke, but I still managed to have enough courage to sit on it. I sat here for about 2 hours, just thinking about how fucked up my life was.

Christian hates me, Fiona tries so hard to become a better mother but I just can't forgive her. All I do is get into trouble for my hobby, and my kid brother is getting verbally abused while I go out acting like an idiot.

What is wrong with me?

I sigh, placing my elbows on my knees and covering my face. I recognize this feeling. The same one I'm feeling now, is the same feeling I felt when I began to spiral out of control 3 years ago.

"Miss Green, please see me after class." My history teacher whispered to me, handing me the test I did a week ago.

"F"

With a displeasured look on my face, I turn the paper over to keep my peers from seeing my awful grade. I knew I was on the verge failing 12th grade, and I had tried my best to keep my grades up. Eventually, I stopped trying and gave up.

***
"Morgan?" Mrs. Henn caught me before I could sneak out of her class. I squeezed my eyes shut, gripping my journal tightly. I slowly turn around and meet her warm smile, followed with a look of concern.

"Yes?" I answer sweetly.

She rounds her desk and stands in front of me. "I-..I'm worried about you. Is everything OK at home?" She crosses her arms.

No.

"Yes..why?" My heartbeat quickens at the thought of someone even having the slightest clue that my mother had been beating me.

"Your grades..." She trails off, expecting me to catch on. With her eyebrows risen, she sighs and shakes her head. "I don't see you trying anymore. In fact I don't see you interacting with your classmates."

"..What are you implying?" My palms start to sweat, and for some odd reason, I get angry.

"Are things alright at home?" She observes my stance, and the way I glare at her.

"Why would you ask me that?" I snap, my nails slipping past my journal, and digging into my chest.

She quickly puts her hands up, "Hey, if everything's OK just say so." She chuckles lightly, but I don't laugh or smile at all.

"Yeah." My nostrils flare. "I'm gonna go now, I'll be late for my next class."

As I heavily walk towards the exit of the classroom she says, "Have a nice day, Morgan."

I mumble under my breath, "Fuck you."

***

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding in, and stood up from the bench and walked into the large crowd that began to disperse as it was getting darker out.  I noticed the convenience store was still open even though they usually close around this time.

Running my fingers through my hair, I feel around for my wallet as my eyes searched for a pack of crackers and a bottle of soda. Suddenly, I felt cold air hit me in the back of my neck.

Did they turn the AC on?

After grabbing a nice box of Ritz crackers and a bottle of Sprite, I make my way out the smelly Isle and head to the Check out. Just as I'm about to make a left turn around the corner, a tall man in a black ski mask swings the door open. With a gun.

The teenage boy behind the counter automatically throws his hands up, begging for his life. His once pale face turns tomato red, tears ready to drop.

"I ain't gonna shoot if you gimme ya money!" He shouts, moving his gun around. I notice his fingers aren't even around the trigger, but he carelessly twirls it around his fingers.

I place my items on the cart next to me, pulling back my coat and reaching behind me to grab my most prized possession. I peer my head around the corner and watch as the kid grabs all the money quickly placing them on the counter.

I glance down and reload my gun from the last time I used it. Obviously, he must've heard, cause now he was yelling for me to come out. "Who's there?! Show ya fuckin' face or I'll blow ya brains out!"

"Gladly." I smirk and come out of hiding. My arms were behind me, my gun out of sight. I glanced at the kid who sat behind the counter, rocking back and forth.

He tilted his head, placing his fingers around the trigger. "What're ya hidin'?"

"What do you mean?" I let out a low, sinister laugh. Mocking his tilted head, I whip out my loaded gun.

The kid begins to cry even harder, wishing his mother was here.

The man's eyes widen, his frown turning into a scowl. "You're like 5, how in the world do ya have a bloody gun?"

"I'm 20 idiot." I spit. "And I'm licensed."

He tries to catch me off guard by cocking his gun, ready to shoot.

But I shoot first.

***
I watch the police officer and paramedic hold the man as he limps to the ambulance handcuffed. The kid hugs his mother tightly, relief washing over his face while the ambulance drives away.

"Hey." An all too familiar deep voice calls out to me. I turn my head to the side and meet a pair of cold blue eyes.

Shit.

"It's like no matter where I go, you somehow end up being there." I sigh, hands in my pockets.

"That's because no matter where you go, you somehow always end up making a mess, and I get called to clean it up." He fumes, towering over me. "When are you gonna stop? Everytime we vow to never see eachother again, I just happen to run into you."

"Did you hear what you just said? You happen to run into me. Not my fault you like to follow me wherever I go."

His frown switches into a snarl and his mouth widens to bark some nasty words, but before he can Didi jogs up to us. "Guys.." Her usual charming smile was gone.

She leaned into his ear, whispering a few words. I could tell it was something serious from the way his sighed and closed his eyes, whispering "Dammit."

He looked at me for a split second, pulling Didi to the side. Lowering their voices, they seemed to be having a little disagreement. She then growled at him, "Asher Derek Carson.."

"Fine." He rolled his eyes and walked back over to me. "You're coming with us." He straightened his shoulders and trudged over to the silver car, Didi trailing behind us.

"Where are we going? What happened?" I ask, sliding into the backseat.

"Shut up and put your seatbelt on."

Didi scoffed, hitting his shoulder. "Don't be meannn. A body was found near the woods today."

"A body?" I got instant chills.

"Yeah. But don't worry, you're not coming to the crime scene. But the officers on scene will watch you 'til we come back." She says, buckling her seatbelt as we drive off into the road.

We've been driving for the past 10 minutes, and the sound of the radio keeps me from speaking. I notice the mountains in the distance, and the moon ushering out from the clouds as it hits midnight.

"Why are we heading for the mountains?" I ask, sitting up.

"Because the body was found in the mountains." Detective Carson says, staring at me in the rear mirror.

Shit.

I never really left the house enough to know how far Portland was from the mountains. But I really hope it's less than 30 minutes.

"How far..do we have to drive to get there?"

"50 minutes."

You've got to be shitting me.