Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Morgan's POV

"That's Lacey!" I point outside the door, standing up from my seat. "I knew it she looked familiar! I've only ever seen her once. How did I not recognize her?!"

Detective Carson nods, gesturing me to take a seat. "Yeah, we know the family pretty well."

"But...what happened?"

The last time I ever saw Ronnie was the day he left my house after Lacey had called him. His parents got a divorce, and we still spoke to eachother over FaceTime and calls, but I never really saw him.

Then out of the blue, he just stopped..calling. I thought he was just being one of those typical assholes to ghost you when they get bored. This was about 4 months ago. But I walked by his house one day and saw the police car outside his house.

I didn't think anything if it, I just thought he got arrested. But..I still kinda have a feeling something was wrong.

"Morgan.." Didi sighs, looking over at him. "I don't know if you guys had a great relationship but.."

"Should I do it or you?" She asks softly.

"I'll take it from here." He nods, watching her leave the room.

"Morgan-"

"Yes?!" I slam my hands on the table impatiently. "What's going on what happened?"

"Ronnie.."

"What about Ronnie?" I snap. "I never asked what happened to Ronnie. I asked what happened to Lacey."

"I feel like I should let you know though." His eyes turn soft, and he leans forward. "Ronnie's dead. He passed away 3 months ago."

..what?

"Are fucking with me right now?" I glare at him.

He closes his eyes, shaking his head.

"Please, you're kidding, right?" My voice breaks, tears blurring my vision. I whinper, burying my face into my hands.

I didn't even...

I didn't even know.

This whole time I thought he was...

"How..did he die?" I wipe a tear away.

"He was beaten to a pulp, then shot in an alleyway."

I choke on a sob, looking away from him. I hate that he's seeing me cry. Not the first time but it hurts even more this time.

I cover my eyes, wiping my face full of wetness. "Did they find out who?"

"We believe it was Xavier." I finally look at him, catching the sympathy in his eyes just as it slips away once we make eye contact.

"How? Why do you just assume it was him?" I frown.

"Well..a few hours before he was killed, we received a chilling call from him." He glanced out the window before looking back at me.

"He was going on about how he was being watched, and he knew he was going to die. We automatically assumed it was a prank call-"

"There it is. That word. You used it again." I furrowed my eyebrows and heat up in anger.

"What?"

"Assumed." My nose twitches. "You assumed it was Xavier. You assumed he was prank calling you guys when he was scared. Assuming isn't gonna get you anywhere. If you had thought with your head, Ronnie would still be alive."

"Are you saying this is our fault?" He tilts his head.

I shrug. "You should've brought him in. 'Protect and Serve' my ass. I haven't seen a lot of protecting lately."

He stares at me, leaning back in his seat. "You guys were close, weren't you?"

"Of course. He was my boyfriend."

"And he didn't call you first?" He arches a brow.

"We..He stopped calling me after our 3 years together." I lower my voice, covering my face with my hair.

"You didn't check on him? At all?"

"I just assumed he got bored-"

"There it is. There's that word, Green."

I growl, balling my hands into fists.

"You may not know everything that goes on around here but trust me, we are very much dedicated to our jobs. We do everything we can. And it's not fair for you to sit here and say we don't." He lowers his voice softly, leaning forward again.

My anger fades away, and I look down at my feet. A tear falls on my lap, along with a lot more.

He's a lot closer to me now, he face only a few inches away from mine. "I know you didn't mean that, Did you?"

I shake my head, a small whimper escaping me.

"I know. I'm sorry for your loss, Morgan. I really am. And I'll do everything I can to put Xavier in prison. I promise."

"I wanna help." I whisper, lifting my head. Instant regret fills me up when I catch his gaze.

His godlike blue eyes wander my face, a slight pout forming on his face. He reaches into his jacket pocket and pulls out a small packet of tissues.

Gently sliding them over to me he says, "You should get some rest. You've been here all night. Come back tomorrow."

I nod my head, looking to the side.

"Let's go, I'll give you a ride." I once again wipe the tears away and slowly rises from my seat.

He opens the door, standing against the wall and waits for me to head out first. I take a small tissue and rub my face, too upset to look at anybody. I hear the door close behind me and hear his deep voice whisper into my ear. "C'mon."

"Goodnight, Didi." I say softly, waving at her as she looks up at me from her desk.

A warm, sympathetic smile makes it's way onto her face and she waves back. "Goodnight, Morgan."

With his hand on my shoulder we leave the police department in silence, the sounds of our feet hitting the concrete.

The smell of cinnamon and mint hits my nose when I climb into the passenger seat. From the corner of my eye I notice Detective Carson standing outside the car.

"Hey, why aren't you getting in?" I lean my head towards the window.

He bends down so I can get a clear view of his face. He whispers, "I'm on the phone."

"With who? I need to get home." I whisper back.

"Just wait." He turns away from me.

I sigh, resting my head on my arm. Staring at the street light above me, my eyes slowly fall as my mind drifts off into dreamland.