Chapter 31

Chapter 31

Detective Carson's POV

"Don't touch anything." I huff and gently place her suitcase beside the door of the guest room. I turn around, but she's not even behind me.

I curse under my breath, marching down the hallway. I jog down the stairs with little to no patience left when I see Morgan observing my living room.

Her mid length hair is pulled into a ponytail, with strands of her hair hanging out. It looks messy, but great on her. She looks like a model, strutting through the halls of my house with such curiosity.

"Morgan." I say in a quiet voice, standing near her as she gazes at the family pictures I keep hung up.

She glances at me with a small smirk, pointing at a picture frame. "Is that you?"

I frown, pushing her aside. I hear a low chuckle erupt from her behind me.

I exhale deeply, trying to hide the utter embarrassment I begin to feel. I run my tongue over my bottom teeth, turning to her with my eyes narrowed.

"Stop." She tilts her head, her lips forming into an amused smile. "Stop touching my stuff."

I turn on my foot, tossing her duffel bag into her arms. She scoffs, but remains quiet.

I jog back up to her room, glancing behind me to confirm if she's following me. "Just follow me, please."

She nods quietly, her eyes trained on my every move.

I open the door to the guest room, revealing the neatly made bed, and small wardrobe just beside it. I kept it plain for a reason, but I couldn't help but put a small desk inside for decoration.

"So," I pull her suitcase inside, ignoring her hard gaze. "This'll be your room for the time being."

She smiles, her shoulders deflating when she sighs in relief. Gently placing her duffel bag onto the bed, she turns to me.

"Thank you."

I nod, folding my lips as I get ready to leave. Her hand wraps itself around my forearm, and I'm almost shocked but I keep it hidden. I turn to her, sucking in a breath when I see her staring up at me.

"I mean it. I really do appreciate this."

My lips part, and my eyes wander the room as I try to find a way to respond to her. I slowly lick my lips, flashing her a small smile.

"Don't mention it." I pull away from her, turning on my feet and quietly close the door.

I sigh, pinching the bridge of my nose. With my hand on my hip, I contemplate whether or not I should throw myself down the stairs.

I almost gave myself away.

***
Morgan's POV

"I'm safe, I promise." I stare outside of the foggy window in front of me, clutching my phone closely to my ear.

'If anything happens, don't be afraid to come home. And call me when you can.' Masons voice puts me at ease.

I stare down at my feet, leaning against the wall. "Okay, I will."

'Good. I gotta go, but I'll call later, okay?'

"Okay, bye. Love you." I smile.

He responds and quickly hangs up, leaving me alone to drown in my thoughts. I fall back onto my bed, blowing out a breath. My mind wanders to the possibilities of going back to school and finding a stable job to put me through college.

It all seems so impossible, and way too late to do. I hate that I find myself listening to Christian, taking his harsh advice. But he's right.

I just don't know where to start.

I hear a small knock on my door, causing me to sit up in my bed.

I swing my legs onto the comforter under meath me, crossing them in front of me. "Come in."

Detective Carson opens the door, his hand placed into the doorway. His eyebrows are raised when he asks me, "Find everything okay?"

I nod my head, smiling. "Yup. Everything's fine."

He nods his head, his eyes wandering the room, eyeing my yet to be emptied suitcase. "You can get comfortable, if you'd like."

When I don't reply he continues. "I mean, I don't know how long you're staying, but you can unpack your things. You know, make yourself at home. If you want, of course."

I chuckle, now standing near the wardrobe with my suitcase. "Thanks for the tip. I'm just drained, that's all. I'll do it tomorrow."

He nods his head, averting his gaze. Without saying another word, he closes the door softly with the sound of his heavy footsteps retreating downstairs.