Ch 15:An Egg

Su Chong and Su Hua were attracted to the shout and had already run over.

Su Sanlang came back to his senses and immediately walked over as well. Before he walked in, he heard Su Chong, Su Hua, and Su Sanmei’s surprised voices.

“The hen laid an egg—”

Su Chong, Su Hua, and Su Sanmei were all surrounding the straw nest in the chicken coop. The only rooster and hen in the house had already quietly moved to the side and were clucking uneasily.

Su Sanlang was just as surprised. “The hen laid an egg?”

Su Sanmei picked up the egg with both hands and carefully handed it to Su Sanlang. Su Sanmei said happily, “Father, can you cook it for Mother?”

Su Sanlang took the egg and nodded. “Yes, I’ll make egg soup later. Let’s drink it together.”

When the rooster and hen arrived, Su Sanlang could tell that the hen would not lay eggs for the time being. It was still very thin.

He hadn’t expected an egg in just a few days.

He looked at the two chickens and realized that the hen seemed to have gained weight.

Thinking of Su Sanmei’s diligence, Su Sanlang couldn’t help but stroke Su Sanmei’s hair. “Sanmei, you’ve worked hard. This is your credit. When your mother is out of confinement, the first egg the hen lays, I’ll cook it for you.”

Su Sanmei smiled and nodded. “Okay.”

Recommended for you
If You Suffer From Knee and Hip Pain You Should Read This
Sponsored by news4ppl.com

She couldn’t remember the smell of eggs, but they smelled good. They had to be delicious.

2

Su Chong and Su Hua still didn’t understand what the confinement period meant. They only remembered that Su Sanlang had said that they could have some egg soup that night. The two of them were practicing foolishly, as if wondering how to drink more of that.

As his two foolish sons inhaled the air, Su Sanlang rubbed their heads helplessly.

After cleaning up the well, Su Sanlang went to clean up the few acres of wasteland at the back of the house. He dug up the weeds and the ground, while Su Chong, Su Hua, and Su Sanmei followed him to clear out the grass.

The family was happy. The afternoon was overcast and the weather had changed.

He worked until evening and dug out an acre of land. He cleared out a large pile of weed poles and left them exposed to the sun. When the time came, he would burn them and scatter the ashes on the land. If he did this repeatedly, the land would become more nutritious.

This piece of land had been abandoned for many years. In the past, his family had other lands and it took time to care for them, so Old Master Su did not work on this land.

Now that this land was the source of his family’s food, Su Sanlang worked hard on it.

When they cooked that night, Su Sanlang cracked the eggs into egg soup. There was a little more soup so that all three children could have a small bowl.

He brought the rest to Madam Zhao, who was a little surprised. “Sanlang, where did the egg come from?”

The hen that was distributed to the family should not be able to lay eggs.

Su said with a smile, “You fell asleep at noon and didn’t know it. These eggs were laid by the hen at home today. Over the past few days, Sanmei had dug up a lot of insects to feed the chickens every day, so they are fattening up and are laying eggs again. Drink up. It’s delicious.”