Ch 17: Trading

There had to be an entire turtledove in this bowl. Madam Zhao couldn’t help but tear up. She had cried a lot.

She cried when she was sad and also when she was happy.

Su Sanmei replied from the outer room, “Mother, I have meat to eat. I’m not coming.”

Su Sanlang smiled and said, “Hurry up and eat. Our daughter is worried about you too. I’ll go and fix the traps tomorrow. I’ll catch more in the future. Every time I catch something, we’ll eat a little.”

Madam Zhao looked at Su Sanlang and said softly, “Sanlang, you eat too.”

Madam Zhao picked up a piece of turtledove meat and fed it to Su Sanlang. As he retreated, she said, “Sanlang, if you don’t eat, then I won’t eat either.”

Madam Zhao knew that Su Sanlang had given all the meat to her and the children. He probably couldn’t even bear to take a sip of the soup.

And how could she bear to see this? They were family.

Seeing how determined Madam Zhao was, Su Sanlang had no choice but to eat that piece of meat.

Turtledove meat smelled really good. Even the bones were soft after a long stew.

After dinner, the family washed up and went to bed.

Su Sanlang got up early the next morning to cook and woke Su Sanmei up to help.

Recommended for you
If You Suffer From Knee and Hip Pain You Should Read This
Sponsored by news4ppl.com

When it was done, Su Sanmei went back to sleep.

When Su Sanlang entered the house, Madam Zhao was awake. As if she knew that he was going out, she said gently, “Sanlang, I don’t know much about trade either, but I heard from Eldest Sister-in-law and Second Sister-in-law in the past that you have to compare goods with other shops. Try going to a few more places.”

Winter was coming and the weather would get colder. Madam Zhao only hoped that they could sell for more money.

Su Sanlang was also a little nervous, but he smiled and said to Madam Zhao, “Darling, don’t worry. I know what to do. I’ll go now. You stay at home. If there’s anything, call for the children. They’re obedient.”

Madam Zhao nodded.

Su Sanlang did not want Madam Zhao to worry too much, so he did not delay. He placed the animals at the bottom, placed more than ten catties of chestnuts on top, and carried them out.

Madam Zhao watched Su Sanlang leave and sighed softly. She prayed silently in her heart that the heavens would bless their family.

Su Xiaolu yawned and said to herself, “Sending good luck to Daddy.”

2

It was dawn when Su Sanlang left the village with the basket on his back and the villagers were still asleep. He looked back in the direction of his home, his eyes filled with many emotions.

However, it was only a glance, and he moved on determinedly. The town closest to the village was called Goathorn, and Su Sanlang was prepared to go to Goathorn to sell the animals and the wild chestnuts.

It was a two hours walk from the village to the town. Only when he reached the town did Su Sanlang learn that they had to pay a fee to enter.

Those who didn’t have money to pay had to make do with what they had, or on credit. There was a big river outside Goathorn, and there was only one way in and out of town. If he wanted to get away with it, he’d have to cross mountains.