Chapter 16 - Echoes of Betrayal

''All the time we spent together...Asuka! There's something I need to tell you! I lo-''

''No.''

- - -

''W-what..''

''Listen , you're going to regret what you're about to do.''

I want to respond to Itsuki's feelings...but not like this. Everything will be ruined since midterm exams are just around the corner. If I start dating Itsuki, her lessons will be negatively affected, on top of that they probably kick me out of the house when her sister finds out...

''N-no...This c-cannot be...''

Trembling hands, clenched teeth. Denial and sadness. I'm used to seeing these, Itsuki's eyes widened after my words. But I have no choice... Just one more week...

''A-ah, t-this c-cannot be real.'' She started to stutter.

The only feeling I felt was the sadness of hurting someone else, which I'm starting to get used to back in the days. It's different this time. I want to cry. I want to shout. I want to throw myself out of that window. But no. Not this time, Itsuki always thinks she's being helped, but no. Itsuki ... she probably helped me more.

I have to explain the situation to her. Just one more week.

''Itsuki listen t- ''

*SLAP*

''How could you say that! I gave you my all...I trusted you. I OPENED MY HEART TO YOU!''

 I OPENED MY HEART TO YOU!''

''...''

Hurt. Itsuki slapped me before I could even speak. It hurts, but does it hurt physically or emotionally? No one can hear because it's midnight...but this doesn't comfort me, not even a single bit. I was leaning against the window and stare on her face. I could see the despair and anger in her eyes; she's probably throwing a tantrum because of me...

''I trusted you... and those nights...'' Itsuki started punching my chest. It doesn't hurt, her slow fists. She's crying so bad, what am I going to do...

 I stay silent.

''...''

''I hated you both when you first came... I was very sure that you were just people trying to approach us for money. You two weren't the first...'' Itsuki was just mumbling  now, as the screams faded into quiet murmurs. ''But my mind had changed... After everything you've done for us.''

''...''

''I was thinking about the worst-case scenario at the time. Just another tutor who will remain as trash and then flee from us...It's been like this ever since our mother passed away.''

''...''

''I was even ready to help Nino get rid of you two...Yet *sob* I failed. Because of you... Why couldn't you just be a scumbag like Uesugi? Why did you have to be like this...''