Chapter 17 - Confession and the Charming Maid (Ⅰ)

Itsuki's POV:

One week...

I'll be there...Proud of you, no matter what.

''Everyone, take your seats. The exam is about to start.''

I was looking out the window when I heard the teacher's voice. Tomorrow this whole empty garden will be filled with festive stands and people.

I didn't know how to feel when I saw Asuka in the enterance this morning. I'm still angry at him, but part of me understands why he rejected me. I overreacted that night, but I've had a lot of time to think over the past week. If that night had been different, it would probably have been...it would have been very complicated.

But he didn't have to be so direct! If only he had at least explained it properly. Partly my fault too... I don't know what happened to me that night. I just got very angry...

PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER, ITSUKI! Now isn't the time to think about these things, the exam has started. The exam that you study alone for days. Since we took the exam in our own class, some of my friends have already begun to preparing cheat papers, maybe I should have done it too...

After a few tense seconds, our teacher started the exam.

100 questions for five lessons. The passing score is 30. I ...  I can definitely do it! 

I'll start with the math, the hardest first. I don't like polynomials at all, why are there letters in mathematics? The numbers were good enough.

Physics is prepared more simply than other courses. It seems didn't ask anything that requiring difficult formulas, just simple yes or no questions and basic vectors. Chemistry was hard, really hard... Alkane, alkyne, alkene... God damn, who chose these names, they're almost the same. But somehow I managed to make a few questions from here as well.

The next topic is Language. It's not that I'm that good, but Uesugi-kun has really helped me with English and Japanese these past weeks. I'm absolutely sure I can solve a few of them. Still, I wouldn't say I like Uesugi-kun, but it's a fact that his help is mandatory. So I guess I'll have to stand still a little longer.

Now I wonder...What would it be like if Asuka had never existed? Five girls and a boy, I'm sure it would have been a very strange harem in another universe, heh..

Socials were almost remembering the dates and stuffs. Damn, I wish I'd taken your social studies seriously, gah! But it's not something I can't handle. I definitely have to pass this exam. Myself and...for them...and him. Hold, there is no way I know the other name of the battle of Sekigahara! Who even ask th-

Wait, I've heard this somewhere before...

—The answer for the seventh question. The one you scribbled on it. The other name of the Battle of Sekigahara. It's called Tenka Wakeme no Tatakai [ War of Realm Divide ]. For God's sake, Itsuki! This is the first thing we learned.—

Right, that night... Even if he's not here... No no no! I gave my cheeks a gentle pinch. Don't think about him now, Itsuki! The rest of your life is at stake right now. Let's continue...

. . .

It took me about three hours to finish all the questions, I think I managed to survive somehow. I got up from my desk, handed the paper to the teacher and left the classroom in a rush.  Gosh! I survived from the hell. YES!

But the hallway was almost empty. Guess students are still taking exams.

''Ah, I feel relieved!'' I smiled as I looked out of the hallway window. All my efforts had not been in vain, all those sleepless nights had somehow worked out for me.