Chapter 37 - Through Rose-Colored Glasses

''Young lady, you can't talk to me that way!''

"That doesn't grant you the right to speak to her however you want."

''Madoka, stop please. She's right, I was the one who should have been careful, please let's get out of here...Please.''

''...'' She ignored me and stand between me and the manager. ''I expect your apology.''

The woman clenched her fists. ''Who the hell do you think you are? I don't have to apologize to anyone. I worked hard to keep this place in order, and the media's coverage of such a scandal will be terrifying.''

Madoka reached into her bag in silence. The cops are still keeping an eye on us even though the crowd in the area has dispersed. ''...''

She throws what she pulls out of her bag directly in front of the manager...Ah, I see. It's her ID card. Wait...ID Card?!

''I hate disrespectful people, especially like you.'' The manager frown and pick up the ID card from the ground. ''When we're done here, you---?!''

When the manager looks at the card, all the colors on her face fade away, as if her soul has been sucked out. Her pupils shrink, her hands start to sweat, and her breathing becomes heavy and loud. Her mouth loses her ability to choose words; the only sounds coming out are incoherent syllables. ''I---...H...I...Me...H-How...''

A senior police officer approaches the manager to find out about the woman's strange behaviors. ''Miss Manager? Are you okay?''

''...''

The policeman snatches Madoka's ID card away from the manager. His eyes then also grow wider. ''Oh my...''

Wait, is she protecting me? When my tears stopped and my blurry vision fixed, the first thing I saw was the police officer ordering his men to leave the area immediately, with terror in his eyes. The manager was on her knees once the police left, staring at Madoka in fright as if an angel of death itself had arrived.

''Apologize. Now.''

Within seconds, the woman takes the dogeza position right in front of my feet

Within seconds, the woman takes the dogeza position right in front of my feet. ''I a-apologize on behalf of our e-establishment and myself, m-miss. Please come again, and t-this park will never c-charge you any fees in the f-f-future...''

''Madoka...'' I looked her, just watching the woman in absolute...disgust.

She retrieved her ID card. ''Enough.''

Madoka gazed at the manager for a moment longer, her becomes expression unreadable. Then she turned away and walked towards me. I could see her hands clenched in fists.

"Let's go, Nino.'' She said, her voice steady but cold.

Huh, Nino?... Did she just use my name?

''...''

''...''

Without another word, we left the scene behind, leaving the terrified manager still kneeling on the ground. What just happened? Just now, she really protected me...But at what cost? I stare at Madoka's face as we walk silently side by side.