Ch. 18 Planning

Ch. 18 Planning

 18 Planning

•--()--•

= THE CAR SKIDS TO A STOP IN FRONT OF A LARGE WAREHOUSE. Tony and Madison both slips their glasses further down their nose as the group of three eyes the suspicious looki by building.

"He couldn't have gotten us a luxury hotel?" Madison asks, eyes flicking to the side where Ian pulls himself out of the car and looks around.

"Ton?-" the girl turns her head out. Silence progressing over her as she had just noticed her billionaire friend had also hopped out of the vehicle, doing his suit he decided would be the best thing to wear today.

"Why does it feel like, I've been abandoned?"

Slipping out the car with her rucksack by her side, Madison grips her headphones as she jogs after the two males. Like she was one of those paparazzi and was chasing their next prey.

"Tony, why aren't you going back to Pepper?" Madison asks the man, slowing down to a walk as she saw him wave to some people like he knew who they were.

"Didn't Mr Hammond tell you? I was called to join you." The female halts into her steps and stares at the male like he was joking. She blinks a couple of times before sprinting after him once more.

"No- that's got to be a joke and if so, it's a shitty one." Madison opines, rubbing the back of the neck while she see's Ian walk away to a phone booth.

"Who said I was joking?" Tony remarks and looks off to the side where his companion stills once more.

"You can't be, what about the things I've told you about!" Madison pulls him back to where she was by his sleeve.

"Yea, the man-eating dinosaurs, poisonous plants, a maniacal tyrannosaurus re-"

"So wouldn't that put you off enough to not go!?" The younger female hisses loudly.

"Kid-"

"I'm not a child, I'm twenty-two thank you very much." Madison punches his arm while he laughs out loud. Pulling away as he slips his fancy glasses further to the front of his nose.

"Listen, I wouldn't have gone if you weren't." Tony points a blaming finger at the girl. "After all those stories, those nightmares you have previously waken up from, I'm not allowing you to go back there without me." He hushes the girl from speaking when she had opened her mouth.

"Even if you are a mutant, still doesn't mean you don't deserve damn protection." With that, Tony pulls head back from where it crept closer to the girl and fixed his outfit. Eyes flicking to the side where they both saw a pair of brown eyes staring at them before they quickly looked away. "Don't worry, I'm going to have my iron suits on standby."

"I- can't Tony please, what about pepper?" Madison whispers, grabbing his wrist instinctively before he could walk away. Although he was being called over by someone approaching Ian.

"Pepper will be fine, and don't give me those puppy dog eyes Madison. It's my decision and it's final." With that, he walks away. Leaving Madison to stand alone with trapped thoughts spiralling out of control in her head.

"You can't shave three days off my deadline and expect everything to be ready! We're not fully supplied, I haven't field tested any of this-" A man in his forties approaches Ian as he roughly hangs up the phone with a loud frustrating noise.

"Damn it! Why doesn't Sarah answer her satellite phone?!" He shouts.

Eddie simply shrugs, not knowing what to say to that even if it wasn't particularly aimed to him. "Could be anything. Solar flares, a satellite out of synch. It's not exactly a local call."

"Let me talk to your communications designer." Ian tells them as the pair began to walk, he stops to turn to Madison. He finds her staring with confusion written all over her face.

"You are talking to him." Eddie pulls the man out of his little thoughts and makes the 6'4 male turn back to him.

"Are you coming Maddy?" Ian calls out to the girl, watching the purple and pink headed female immediately pick her head up. Eyes wide like she was caught doing something.

"Uh yea." She answer shortly and waddles over, shoving her hands into her pockets.

"What's wrong?" Malcolm asks when he picks up on her strange behaviour.

"Nothing, it's fine." He wanted to press more into the fact but stops himself when a battered white van roars through the door of the garage, pulling in backwards, and comes to a stop in the middle of the floor.

A good-looking American man in his late twenties, hops out out of vehicle, slamming the door as he walks to the back. He's crabby. "It's 4-3 Mets in the sixth, for anybody else who's got money on it. Thanks for the two minute warning Eddie. Where the hell is the fire?" The man asks Eddie.

He slides open the cargo door of the van with a loud bang, startling a few people including Madison whose hands flew to the handle of her rucksack. Eyebrows shooting up in surprise and he starts unloading photographic equipment such as video cameras, cables, metal supply cases.

Eddie breathes out a breath and began introducing the group. "Nick van Owen, Ian Malcolm. Nick's our field photographer. Ian's our uh- Ian and Madison Faye, our creature specialist."

"What's your background? Wildlife photography?" Madison curiously asks the man, moving over to pick up a loose camera that she presses to her left eye. Aiming the muzzle to the new man who shrugs, smiling amusingly as he takes it off her.

"Wildlife, combat, you name it." Nick responds with an answer, packing up various things he then unloads the van. "When I was with Nightline I was in Rwanda, Chechnya, all over Bosnia." He continues.

"Do some volunteer for Greenpeace once in a while."

Ian peers over his female companions shoulder in curiosity, finding her meds with a few of Nick's things. "What drew you there?"

"Women. 'Bout eighty percent female in Greenpeace." Nick retorts with a hint of proudness like it was his greatest achievement.

A chuckle falls out of Ian's mouth. "Very noble."

"Noble was last year." Nick shrugs with a shared chuckle. Clapping his hands together loudly. "This year I'm getting paid. Hammond's check cleared, or I wouldn't be going on this wild goose chase."

"That isn't true." Madison whispers, having Nick look back to her with confusion.

"Where you're going is the only place in the world where the geese chase you." Malcolm admits to the man, almost trying to get him to back down from going on the island. Although, Nick looks at him, unconvinced.

"Uh huh."

END OF CHAPTER EIGHTEEN