Ch. 35 Goodbyes

Ch. 35 Goodbyes

 35 Goodbyes

•--()--•

= STANDING WITH THE OTHERS. The group watches as the sun rise while they help one another out of the cold freezing water of San Diego.

Ian and Sarah stands together with Madison soon transforming back into her human self with Ian's jacket once again draping her figure. Followed with some pants she had in her rucksack now by her side with the three cubs and the egg comfortably inside.

Above them, there are now half a dozen helicopters that have found the rex and are hovering over it, shining their spotlights down on it.

"Oh God." Malcolm whispers.

Doors slide open on the sides of the helicopters and riflemen appear, training their weapons on the animal below.

"They're going to kill him..." Madison speaks, her voice breaking to which Malcolm pulls her to his side and comfortably rubs his arm. A frantic Sarah sees the wreckage of the cage that was designed to hold the rex. She runs to it and picks up the tranquilizer gun that Ludlow wrenched free earlier.

The riflemen raise their weapons and train it on the beast below and the rex roars up at the noisy flying machines in anger and desperation.

Sarah raises the tranquilizer rifle, sighting in on the rex's neck as it bellows skyward, a cry of rage and confusion.

Sarah pulls the trigger.

Watching a single tranquilizer dart shooting out of the barrel of the gun in ultra-slow motion was entertaining for Madison.

First, the slender thread of its silver needle appears, then the translucent container that carries the solution itself, and finally, tiny, multi-colored feathers pop up and brace for flight as they emerge from the gun.

Close on two hands, holding each other tightly. They're Malcolm and Sarah's hands, and they're standing at a railing of some kind. Sarah is looking at him, smiling.

"What?" Malcolm looks down at her.

"I was just thinking. After everything you said about John Hammond and his dream..." Sarah trails off, looking back to Madison who held a look of thought. "we're the ones who're going to make it come true, aren't we?" She then looks down at Ezra, Bumble and Renee.

On the open deck is the huge shape of the tranquilized tyrannosaur, covered with a tarp and secured at every possible point with braces and shackles. The canvas rises and falls with the animal's every breath. Next to the adult is the much smaller, but equally sedated and secured form of the baby rex.