7- opportunity

"Please state your full name and unit." An officer said to me as he turned on a audio tape recorder.

"Svetlana Makarov and my unit is KorTac." I said as I tried to get as comfortable as possible in the chair.

I was being given a polygraph test. Behind the officer who was asking me the questions was Horangi and König sitting by the door.

Next to me was another officer, who was watching the results of the machine.

"Your brother's name is Vladimir Makarov?"

"Yes." I replied.

"How old is your brother now?"

"31 years old." I answered.

"Where were you born?"

I was silent for a few minutes... "Отныне вы будете Владимир и Светлана Макаровы, и вы двое никогда не были в Норильлске. (From now on you will be Vladimir and Svetlana Makarov, and you two have never been to Norilsk.)"

Then I remembered what our father had said back then....

"Moscow Central Hospital." I said.

"That's a lie." The machine officer said.

So I closed my eyes...I'm really not surprised...because I mean...it's actually a lie. I wasn't born in Moscow and I'm not from Moscow either.

"Svetlana let's not make this more difficult shall we? Where were you born?" The officer asked me again.

"I was born in Moscow Central Hospital." I said again.

"It's a lie, again." The officer said again.

"Maybe you should buy a new machine because I'm telling the truth." I said with a laugh.

"You think that's funny?" The officer asked me.

"Yes, quite a bit." I said with a chuckle.

"What are your parents' names?" The officer asked again ignoring me.

"Demyan and Ksenia Makarov."

"Corrupt result." The officer at the machine said.

"What does that mean?" Horangi asked.

"It means it can be true as well as it can be false." The officer said.

"So what is the answer?" König asked.

"It may never be known." The officer answered him.

"Demyan Makarov, your father was a Russian politician. He had affiliations with the Soviets, the Soviet Union is still real?" The officer asked me.

I started laughing-"aren't you supposed to be asking me about my brother?"

"Answer the question."

"Did you go to school? The Soviet Union fell years ago." I said with a laugh.

"Is it active or not?" he asked again.

"No." I replied.

We all fell silent and I just focused on looking the officer in the eyes. My heart was pounding hard.

"Lies." The officer said.

"What?" The officer asked.

"She's lying." The other officer told him again.
The two officers looked at Horangi and König.

"Horangi, call the captain." König said getting up from his chair and walking to the side of the officer asking me questions.

Horangi left the room in a great hurry.