26- mom

Svetlana's pov:

The smell of coffee and sweet bread made me open my eyes...it was freezing cold but at the same time I felt a little warm. When I opened my eyes I found myself in a bed...which was too small for me...the whole room was pink but the paint looked very old...there were very cheap toys...the more I processed the details of where I was the more they seemed recognizable...

In the distance I could hear a woman's voice singing Russians old music...the lyrics were very recognizable to me...it was like this feeling of nostalgia....

There was a small mirror on the wall and I stopped to look at myself...I had a head wound all the way to the beginning of my forehead on the left...it was saturated and healed...I looked at my clothes and I wasn't wearing my uniform anymore.

Instead I was wearing a black jean, with a black undershirt inside the pants and black tactical boots...the same ones I wore for my uniform. My hair was braided again...but a different style.

I left the room trying not to make too much noise...it was a very small place...when I got to the living room which was also the kitchen...I saw the woman with her back turned while she was cooking....

She was wearing black jeans and a long sleeved gray shirt...her hair was loose...her blonde color was exactly the same shade of blonde as mine....

This whole place...i know this place.

The words wouldn't come out...but my eyes were filling with tears.

"You finally got up." The woman said without turning around.

"Who are you?" I asked.

The woman turned around-"I think you know who I am."

The woman brought two plates of food to the table and sat down in front of one-"come, sit down." She said pointing to the remaining plate.

I sat down but without taking my eyes off her...she couldn't be...it's impossible.....

"Your uniform is drying out, you got snow all over you and because of the little heat in here it all melted and you were all soaked. I lent you my clothes...we are the same size." The woman said to me as she ate.

"Who are you?" I asked her again.

The woman stopped eating and looked at me....in her gaze there was something...like if she was afraid or ashamed....

"My name is Polina." The woman said to me.

My heart started pounding...it was impossible.

"Polina what? You don't have a last name?" I asked her.

"Polina Yakovkev...but that's my widow's last name. My real name is Polina Callahan."

My eyes opened wide as my tears streamed down my cheeks.

"N-no. You're dead." I said wiping away my tears.

She gave me a short smile-"I feel too alive to be dead."

I felt a rage inside but at the same time I felt very sad...it was a sadness I had been holding in for a very long time....

"You abandoned us...you sold us out!" I said almost shouting at her.

"No...it wasn't like that." The woman told me...but her face changed completely. Was she sad?

"No? Then explain it to me! Because all I remember is seeing you take a briefcase with money in it and take off leaving us alone!" I yelled at her very annoyed.

Polina took a breath and stood up from her seat, walked over to the couch and bent to grab something from under it...pulled out the same briefcase I remembered... she sat back down and opened the briefcase.