More than High School Pt.2

X - normal text

X - text where Bloom is not present

'X' - thoughts

'#$X#$' - Parseltongue

Chapter : : More than High School Pt.2

We got off the bus in outfits that Stella lent each of us (which helped to make our more flattering features stand out, so I guess I can't complain. 

"Is this really necessary?" I complained, Tecna's hands were over my eyes. I really shouldn't have let it slip that I'd never been to Magix City, although that could've been deduced since I'd come from a magicless planet. 

"I have yet to study a live expression of shock. This should prove both interesting and educational." I heard Tecna state from behind me. Despite myself, I rolled my eyes. I made a note to get this girl in check with her emotions more often. She sounded like the female version of that AI text-to-speech that I sometimes used when I played a video game with other people online. 

I huffed. "Why must I be the guinea pig?" 

"What's a guinea pig?" Musa asked curiously. I seriously needed to give these girls a crash course in Earth culture, otherwise, half of my humor here would end up making me sound like a crack addict. "It's another Earth expression. It roughly translates to 'Why am I the lab rat?'." 

"Ah. A logical question." Tecna said, still not removing her hands from my face. 

"Ok, we're here. Can you let go--" I cut off as she dropped her hands allowing me to see. 

My jaw dropped as I stared at the technological city in front of us. Trees line the streets. Futuristic buildings, like something out of Star Wars. Hover cars, bikes, and buses moved up and down the streets (strangely with no traffic lights). There were roads high above, transparent blue energy that even more of those vehicles traveled on; like a freeway.

Most of the buildings were as tall as skyscrapers. Shops, restaurants, and beauty parlors lined the street as far as the eye could see. Televisions hovered outside of buildings and over streets. The wind rushed by us, ruffling my hair as a guy in a black hovercar with painted flames zoomed by. 

And just like in Alfea's courtyard, there were dozens of people walking. Some girls moved in packs, to two or three, to just one. All of them were dressed in similar styles (flaring pants, short crop tops, bob or pixie haircuts, or long hair. miniskirts, and dresses), and their giggling was as loud as the magic buzzing in my ears. There were guys too, though they were fewer. All of them wore pants, close-toed shoes, and shirts that hugged their developed, chiseled chests and muscular arms. 

In the distance, I could see what appeared to be a stadium of sorts, lights on poles rising high into the air. As I looked higher, I could see the sun moving west, casting shadows over the streets. 

"Wow." I breathed, taking everything in. It shouldn't surprise me, but for someone who had memories of discovering the magical world deep in the past--Victorian/Feudal era--I was completely blown away. 

"Based on your reaction, I conclude that Earth is technologically behind by six point three centuries." Tecna's comment disturbed my trance-like state. 

"Uh, yeah." I rubbed my head as I looked around. "To be honest, I kinda expected there to be fairies zipping around like Tinkerbells, houses made from trees, wizards on flying brooms, hippogriffs, wand shops, hot guys riding on the back of dragons, and something more...feudal." 

Musa chuckled. "That only happens in fairytales. Dragons do exist, but they live on Pyros primarily, apart from the few dragons still being tended to at Red Fountain. Most of the technology in Magix runs off of magic--", that explains the migraine building in my head, "--And Tinkerbell was an Air Fairy Godmother."