ChApter 37

The pen scratched loudly across the almost full piece of paper, the sound echoing throughout the large office. Slate bangs swept back and forth, following the direction the bent head moved as attention was given to one book and then another. There was a quick pause, the writing instrument stilling between slim fingers before moving to different notebook and jotting down something significant. In a fluid motion, it returned back to its original place, picking up what was being written without missing a beat.

Ciel grumbled lowly to himself, being as he was alone in his father's private office. Spread out on the large wooden desk was a mess of open books and compendiums, most from Vincent's own collection and a thick textbook for his business calculus class. The paper in front of him was scribbled with various formulas and breakdowns of equations as the young man studied for finals that would be taking place that week. A frustrated groan left his tired lips as he closed his eyes for a moment to rest.

The past few weeks had been nothing, but exhausting for the angel. Ever since his conversation with Sebastian about going into Hell to retrieve his parents' souls, Ciel had been busy doing copious amounts of research in preparation for attempting the impossible. Father Spears was still refusing to see or speak with him, so the slayer was forced to rely on the resources in his father's private library. After three days of reading everything and anything he could get his hands on he realized something very important; he was still a student and finals were just around the corner.

So, Ciel doubled his efforts and began mixing academic studies into his hunt for new information on Satan. The extra work was bothersome to say the least, but there was no escaping the fact that while he was the Demon Slayer he was also a person with a future ahead of him and other worldly responsibilities to fulfill. One of those was taking over Funtom Co. when he graduated next year and the internship he was supposed to take this summer there to shadow Mr. Tanaka.

In light of everything that had happened in the past few months, a college education seemed very insignificant, yet it was still something Ciel had to achieve in order to assume his position as head of Funtom Co. Sadly, since he had taken his duties as the Demon Slayer, the angel had been repeatedly absent from his courses. It was only because of Father Spears's influence at St. Victoria's and his already high GPA that Ciel had not flunked out of school already. However, that didn't mean he could forgo his final exams and his continued enrollment at the university all hung now on his ability to pass these tests.

Ciel frowned at the derivative he had just calculated, the numbers just not matching up. A quick glance at the original equation had him groaning, seeing the mistake instantly. Angrily, he crossed out the error and set about doing the whole thing over again from the beginning. The irritation in his mumbling was due to a combination of having screwed up and the annoyance of having to deal with all of this in the first place.

He had been planning on going over to Noah's Ark Orphanage to discuss some things with Mr. Agni, but the need to study had derailed that. He needed some spiritual guidance and it hurt immensely knowing that the one person he would usually seek it from couldn't even look at him at this point. Now, a week had passed and Ciel finally broke down and asked Dagger if the Hindu priest could visit him at the Phantomhive manor. It was a risky move, especially since Sebastian was adamant about being present while they met, but at this point there weren't many options available to the young man.

A light knock on the closed office door jerked Ciel from his thoughts and he stared at the elegantly carved wood for a moment, bracing himself for whatever the outcome of this discussion might be. Placing the pen down and using it for a makeshift bookmark, he took a deep breath and cleared his throat.

"Enter." The angel responded, willing his voice to not shake as the door opened to reveal mischievous garnet eyes and a smirking handsome face. Ciel watched as Sebastian strode in, followed by a calm and content Mr. Agni. Soma trailed behind the priest, golden eyes wide with wonder as they took in the opulence which was the Phantomhive estate.