chapter 44

The sky was clear and cold, the stars shining uninhibited high in the upper atmosphere and giving off the only light as the moon hid behind its own shadow. The atmosphere was unnervingly still, all forms of earthly life seemingly holding their breath, anticipating what was to come. Even the animals were oddly nonexistent, the usual owls having disappeared as if some sixth sense were warning them of the impending disaster that could transpire this night.

The familiar circular area in the woods was again being visited, the ground still frozen, even though snow no longer covered the dirt and dead grass. Ciel blew into his hands, a vain attempt to warm them as he watched Sebastian slowly walk around the perimeter, wondering how in the world he had ended up in the same spot he had almost been killed numerous times once more. He grumbled quietly, cursing this particular part opening in the woods, knowing that it shouldn't shock him that this spot would be the perfect place where an entrance to Hell could be created; nothing good ever seemed to happen here.

Sebastian furrowed his brows, hand stretched out as he felt the air for something. The demon hummed softly, honing his senses and concentrating intensely on one specific area. He was looking for a weak spot; a place to where one could pass from one dimension to the next. All he needed was to find it and he would be able to pierce the veil that kept this world and Hell apart.

Ciel sighed and turned to face Alois who stood silently by his side. Oddly enough, the spirit was rather reserved, large aquamarine eyes taking in everything with deep thought. It was amusing to see just how seriously Alois was taking this, but the angel regretted having to involve anyone in this dangerous plan. With that thought in mind, he glanced over his shoulder, taking in the rest of those who had come to join them in this journey.

Mister Agni and Soma were some few feet back, the exotic priest carrying a long quarter staff as a weapon and his ward clutching a spiritual text in his hands. It was obvious that the holy man did not intend to let his apprentice fight and instead had relegated him to reading protective scriptures. Agni offered Ciel a warm, reassuring smile which the angel returned before moving his gaze further to the left.

Dagger was busy checking his knives and swords, making sure they were balanced properly and fit for action. Ciel smirked at the sight, remembering how the swordsman had taught him how to do the exact same thing during the time they had trained in the chapel on the mountain. He had not wanted the Senior to be here tonight and would have much rather had him stay with Lizzie, but Dagger had refused to be deterred and as such was here now; ready to lay down his life if necessary.

Joker and Beast stood close by, the red headed orphan frowning at the slayer, one arm wrapped protectively around the curly haired girl. It was no secret that he didn't like Ciel, even though the angel had been one of the people responsible for saving his girlfriend's life by assisting in the exorcism of the demon Deidrich from her body. Still, the young man had shown up, sword in hand and the slayer had a sneaking suspicion the only reason he was here at all was because of her coaxing.

Long lashed red eyes caught his own and Beast raised her hand to blow the Ciel a kiss. She giggled as he blushed, her dark curls bouncing in the frigid air. Joker leaned in to whisper in her ear, glaring at him as he did so. Beast smacked her boyfriend away playfully, her other hand holding onto a long bullwhip; obviously her weapon of choice.

Ciel turned his attention back to Sebastian who had finally stopped walking around and quietly chanted to himself. It was only a matter of time now. Soon, he and Alois would step into a world that few would ever see while alive and which they themselves may not escape. Instinctively, he clutched at the handle of his sword, fingers wrapping comfortably around the leather.