Opportunity

I wasn't allowed to go back into his room. Steve was weak. Too weak. He was heavily dehydrated.

I begged every nurse and doctor to let me be with him. But every time I asked, they said to leave.

But I can't leave him.

Not now. Not ever!

I sat nervously in the hallway next to his room. My knees were curled up to my chest. That's when my earpiece went off in my ear.

"Agent Mathews, report." Fury's voice commands.

I sigh and tip my head back against the wall. I shake my head as I single tear falls down my face.

Normally I would respond to Fury, but not today. Today, I don't care about anyone, except Steve.

As time passes, Fury continues to call my name through my earpiece. And every time he calls, I ignore him.

After thirty minutes, A figure dressed in black slowly strides my direction.

Director Fury, himself.

"I called you several times." He speaks.

I stare at him, my face red with anger and wet with tears.

"I don't care about that right now. All I care about is Steve." I state.

"I realize that. But keep in mind, you have other things to be doing right now."

"None of that matters right now." I blurt out.

"You might change your mind in about three minutes."

"What do you want." I snap, shutting my eyes and tipping my head back against the wall.

Fury crosses his arms, "Thought you might want to know that we have located the man who kidnapped Steve."

My eyes snap open.

"I thought you might want to take the opportunity to go find him. Put an end to him."

I stand up from where I was sitting, and turn to look into the window in Steve's room. He's sleeping, but I know he's in pain.

Someone has to pay for what they have done to Steve. I turn back towards Fury.

"How fast can you get me to the location?" I ask.

"You can leave now if you would like. The jet is waiting for you." He says, looking at the watch on his wrist, "Seems as if I have convinced you in under two minutes. Now that's a new record." He turns away and leaves.

I face the window that shows the inside of Steve's room.

"Revenge is a dish best served cold." I whisper, my forehead pressed against the glass.

I softly press my lips against the glass, kissing it.

I turn away from his room and dash through the hallways.