Saving Her

He safely carried me to the waiting jet. It was just me and him in the jet, besides the pilot.

He sets me down gently on a empty medical stretcher.

"Keep your eyes open." He commands, and the jet takes off.

He grabs a white rag and begins to clean up my wound. I notice a small tear forming in the corner of his eye. I reach my hand out and slowly swipe it away. He reaches up and grabs my hand, and presses it against his face.

"Shh. Just stay awake, please." He begs of me.

"I-I make no promises." I stammer, my vision growing painfully blurry.

"Yes, you do. Please." He pleads.

"I'm sorry, Steve." I murmur.

My vision fading darker, and Steve's face was slowly vanishing.

"Please!" I hear him cry.

"Steve, I love you." I croak.

The last thing I see is Steve trying to stay strong, and my hand slipping away from his face.

-Steve POV-

They refused to let me into her room. Her injuries were far too serious. They weren't sure that she was going to make it, at first. But, they managed to keep her alive.

I sat in the hallway outside of her room.

"Captain." A nurse calls me as she leaves her room.

I quickly scramble to my feet, "Is she awake? How is she?" I ask.

"Captain, relax. She's awake. She's doing fine. She's asking for you." She explains.

I brush past the nurse and dart into her room.

She looks terrible.

"Well if it isn't the Star Spangled Man who rescued me with a plan!" She jokes, her smile just a bright as I remembered it.

I crawl beside her in the bed, as she hugs me and begins to cry. Her tears fall onto my shirt.

"I knew you wouldn't leave me." I was relieved.

"I couldn't leave you, even if I tried." She sobs, grabbing the collar of my shirt, pulling me closer.

I cradle her in my trembling arms, stroking her hair away from her eyes.

"Now I know how you felt when I returned from that mission. When they wouldn't let you in my room." I tell her.

She wraps her arms around my neck, and kisses me passionately.

When she finally stops, I tell her, "You should get some rest."

She nods her head.

I stand from the bed and kiss her forehead. Then, I turn away to leave.

"Steve!" She calls.

"Yes?" I turn back towards her.

"Will you stay with me? Cole's still out there. Don't let him take me again." She whimpers.

"I can't let anyone take you away from me. I won't let anyone hurt you."