Unforgotten Memories

"You're the one. What have I done? What have I done?" He slowly backs away from us.

"Bucky? Bucky, listen, that wasn't your fault." Steve tries to comfort him.

"How could it not be?" He retorted.

"They brainwashed you. You didn't know what you were doing." I say.

"Please, I don't want to hurt you."

"You won't hurt her." Steve adds.

James still seemed lost. Even with his best friend working to try and comfort him, he still seemed cautious. His metal arm made robotic noises as he quickly grabbed the chair that he was sitting in. He placed it in front of him and used it as what seemed to be his only protection from us. From me.

"Bucky, I know you. You would never hurt, Alice. You need to forget about your past." Steve tries to comfort his friend, but I could tell there was a little bit of fear still lingering in James's eyes. 

But I couldn't tell them that I was afraid of him.

Yes, I admit it. I'm afraid to really get to know him. I know that our fear of each other must be equal on some level, but he can't know that. So, I have to do the one thing that every agent must be good at. Keeping a straight face. Act like you're not afraid.

I swallow hard before I speak, "James if you can trust me, I can trust you."

"I've tried to kill you! How could you ever trust me?"

"Because it's part of my job." I say.

Well, it's true. I have to trust some people. And Steve wants me to trust James. I wish I could trust him back, but I'm not sure if I'm to that point. Then again, I don't know if I ever will be. But embracing fears is something that everyone will have to do.

It's about time that I start to embrace mine.

"It will take time, James. But if you trust me, I can trust you. The only way we will ever get to be friends is through trust. So, we have to work together."

James stepped around the chair. His metal arm was now calm. His eyes, still hinting with the tiniest bit of fear, were now somewhat calm. It was like his fear just washed away. He held out his hand and I took it. We shook hands. The agreement was made.

"So, we're all good here?" Steve asks out of nowhere.

I smile lightly, "Yeah, we're good."