Rescued

The jet touched down outside the base ten minutes later. I managed to keep Steve talking to me. It wasn't until the jet touched down, that he passed out. I helped the medical team lift the cement slab off of Steve.

Steve winced as the slab was taken off of him. It was then when I could see the gunshot wound in his lower left side.

Well, that explains the blood on the inside of his shield.

The medics lay Steve in a folding stretcher and begin to rush him back to the jet. I bent over a picked up his shield. The blood was beginning to dry on it. I carried the shield back to the jet and tossed it on one of the chairs. I can clean up Steve's shield later, right now, he's all I care about.

Bruce comes rushing out of nowhere, his attention goes straight to Steve.

"He's losing a lot of blood. Get him on fluids and get some pain medicines." Bruce orders.

Bruce turns to me, "Alice, what happened?"

"I didn't see what happened. I heard the explosion and gunshots, and when I went to check on Cap, he was crushed by a large piece of cement." I explain.

"Are you alright? You're not hurt?" Bruce asked.

"No. I'm fine. Please, save Steve." I say, choking up on my tears.

Bruce rests his hand on my shoulder, and then takes off towards Steve.

"Agent Mathews." A deep voice says, and immediately, I can tell it was Fury.

"Director." I say, wiping my tears away. My eyes were puffy, and I could tell by the feel of them.

"I understand that this is the first base you were supposed to take down." Fury begins.

"Yes sir." I reply.

"Well, good job destroying the base. However, I would like to know where the leader is." Fury begins to pace back and forth.

"I-I don't know sir. They all disappeared." I admit, feeling extremely guilty.

"Alice, I sent you to destroy the base and everyone in it. I demand to know why they had gotten away." Fury says, crossing his arms.

"I can't answer that sir." I admit, "There was an explosion and gunshots. They must've gotten away before I had gotten to the location."

"I'm disappointed in you, Alice. I honestly have to say that I expected more from you and Steve." Fury scolds.

I dig into my pocket and pull out the flash drive. The one that I had taken from the laptop. I pull my knees up to my chest and lower my head.

"Here. This is all I can offer." I say, holding out my hand that contained the flash drive.

I look up at Fury, his expression was emotionless, "Did you find this?"

"Yes sir." I answer.

"Well, good work. Next time, be more careful." Fury answers, taking the flash drive out of my hand and walking away. That's how Fury is. One minute he's yelling at you, the next he's applauding you for finding a valuable piece of information.

The jet took off and slowly rose into the sky. Any minute now, I would be back at SHIELD. Then I might be able to see Steve.

Hopefully, he'll be okay.