The Friend He Was

"He looked right at me. He didn't even know me." Steve said. He slumped over in his chair.

We've spent the past three days at SHIELD, thinking about how we can find James. Or, Bucky, as Steve knows him.

"There must be a logical explanation for this. There always is." I try to help.

"I know that. I just can't-"

"Get it out of my head. It's okay. I understand. Steve, you can't beat yourself up over this." I say.

"Alice, if only it were that simple." He stands from his chair and quickly steps towards the door.

"Don't run from it, Steve. Don't run from me." I make an effort to stop him.

"I'm not trying to run. I just need some time." He says.

Without another word, he leaves the room, slamming the door behind him.

-Steve POV-

I'm not trying to run from it, but I wish that I could. I especially don't want to run from her. I just wish she would understand.

I just need some time. Time to think and clear my head. This is just too much for me right now.

So, I'm going to the one place where I can clear my head for a few minutes.

The gym.

When I arrive, I stride over to my locker. My bag was still there, along with my workout clothes. I change clothes and then proceed to the punching bag.

Time to let it all out. And relax.

I throw punches left and right, pounding the crap out of it. But instead of trying to release my confusion and frustration, I get the unwanted memories I never intended to remember.

The day that I lost my best friend.

Bucky held my shield, attempting to save himself from the blast of the gun. But it did him no good.

The blast bounced off of my shield and blew the side out of the car of the train. Bucky went flying out the side.

I thought he was gone. But he wasn't.

I throw my shield at the robotic creature and watch as it flies back.

My attention diverts to Bucky.

I was pulled away from the memory when the punching bag went flying across the room. It had bust open.

I sigh and pick up another bag and attach it to the hanger. I catch my breath and begin to punch the bag again.

"BUCKY!"

All I could hear was his horrified scream. His terrified expression scared me.

I had failed him. I had failed my best friend.

I clung to the railing and lowered my head. The tears, which were uncontrollable, continuously streamed down my face.

And just when I thought that the painful memories were gone, the most chilling one comes back to haunt me.

And it's just a sentence. A simple sentence. But it's Bucky's voice.

"Cause I'm with ya till' the end of the line."