Every Name In The Book

-Late March-

The ultrasound picture became the talk of the team. With my due date drawing near, everyone was buzzing like crazy around me. They wanted to know if it was a boy or a girl, if I needed help getting the baby's room assembled, if Steve was being responsible. The list goes on and on.

But to answer all those questions: No we do not know the gender, as Steve wants to find out the old fashioned way. The baby's room is assembled, and finally yes, Steve has been amazing. He's always helping out and sometimes I have to remind him that I can do things for myself.

-

I scroll through a long list of baby names on our laptop, trying to narrow it down to our tops three names for both genders. So far, every name that Steve has come up with is old fashioned. I don't blame him at all for wanting old names, in fact some ore very pretty. However, I want to pick a few modern names as well.

Steve doesn't know it, but if it's a boy, I have my heart set on naming him Grant, after Steve's middle name. I'm not going to tell him that, as I want it to be a pleasant surprise for him.

"What about Daniel?" Steve calls from the kitchen.

I nod my head, "Daniel's not bad. What about Aiden?"

"Aiden." Steve stops for a second, "Aiden Rogers."

"I really love the name Aiden, but it doesn't sound right together."

Steve nods his head and finishes up his task in the kitchen. He walks around the edge of the counter, drying his hands with a towel. He tosses the towel on the counter and walks over to the couch.

"What about Edith?" He suggests for a girls' name.

"Edith. That's very lovely. I really like that name."

I scroll through the long list, still hunting for names. There are so many names to choose from, but we can't seem to agree on just one. Let alone, it's hard to find a first name that flows with the last name.

"What about Opal?" Steve sits next to me, wrapping his muscular arms around me.

"That's old fashioned." I smile.

"That's why I love it." He gives me a quick kiss on the cheek.

We spend all day scrolling through the countless internet pages, searching for the perfect names. I never imagined it would be this hard. There are so many things to consider. For example, I would love it if my son or daughter could walk into a souvenir store and find their name on a keychain. Sometimes I can't even find my name! However, I also want the name to be unique.

"I think you'll know when the time comes." Steve holds me close to him.

"You're probably right. Besides, it's getting late." I shut the laptop and lay my head on his shoulder, curling up against him. 

"Don't fall asleep." He mumbles softly, "I'd hate to wake you up to tell you to go to bed."

"What, am I too heavy to be carried?" I question softly. "You're a super soldier, you can probably lift up a truck with one hand."

Steve unwraps his arms around me and stands from the couch. He offers a single hand to me. I take his hand and he guides me to my feet. Suddenly he sweeps me off my feet.

"I've got you." He whispers as my head falls on his shoulder.

"And I won't let you fall."

Steve's soft voice sends me away to sleep. I can barely remember him placing me on the bed. I was sound asleep before my head ever hit the pillow.

-

A/N: Theatre is done for the year so I can finally get back to writing. I'm pretty much finished with all of my big events through the year. Now I'm just ready for school to end so I can relax and write some more. Sorry the chapter is so short... ARE Y'ALL READY FOR CIVIL WAR???!!!