One Decision...

I finished applying a thin coat of wine colored lipstick on my lips. It's been a long time since I've worn makeup. The last time I wore makeup was before Maggie was born. Even though it's only been a week since her birth, it feels like forever.

Today is the day that I have a so called 'job interview' with Fury. I hoped that once I retired from SHIELD, I wouldn't have to work again. But now they want me back.

I checked the mirror one last time before I exited the bathroom and strolled into the bedroom. I grabbed my black flats and gently slid them on my feet.

"Hey, Alice?" Steve yells from the living room.

"Yes?" I call back.

"Come here! I found a house that I think you might like!"

I grin and stand from the bed. I quickly walk over to my dresser. I look at all of my necklaces that were scattered on top. I've had some of these necklaces since my childhood. They were heirlooms that were passed down through the women in my family. Now that I have Maggie, I can pass them down to her.

I decide to wear a simple silver chain with a small diamond for the pendant. It was something simple that Steve had gotten me for our first Valentine's Day together. I remember that day so well. It was the day we had our first kiss. He was so nervous that day.

-

Steve asked me to join him for dinner at the pizza place downtown. The place looked like a complete dive on the outside and inside, but it had the best pizza in town. It was great place to eat. Not exactly 'romantic' but I didn't mind. I would be spending the evening with Steve. Just spending the evening with Steve made everything perfect.

When I arrived downtown, I paused in front of the pizza shop window and checked my hair. It fell in soft curls down past my shoulder. My little red dress was hugging my figure nicely. My makeup looked perfect. All in all, I felt confident about my date with Steve.

Well, I felt really confident, until I realized that Steve was sitting at a table for two directly on the other side of the window. He grinned and gave a shy wave from the other side of the glass.

I shut my eyes in embarrassment and sighed. Caught red-handed.

I lowered my head and walked to the door. I chuckled as I walked into the restaurant and looked over at Steve. He gave the same shy wave again as I strolled over to the table. Steve stood up and walked around to greet me.

"I'm sorry you had to see that." I apologize as he helps me take off my coat. He hangs it on the back of my chair and then proceeds to pull out my chair and let me sit down.

"You should know, Alice, you look wonderful tonight." His comment makes me blush.

"Thank you, Steve."

Steve surprised me by already ordering dinner for us. Normally he would wait and let me choose whatever I wanted for dinner, but tonight we would be having pizza. I had no idea what kind of pizza it would be, but I had faith that he knew what's good. And besides, at this pizza place, nothing was ever terrible. The food here was always excellent.

Steve was just full of surprises tonight.

He ordered a heart shaped pepperoni pizza.

When we finished our meal, we sat at our table together for hours. All of the other customers had left, and it was just the two of us alone in the restaurant. Even the waitress had changed the sign on the door from OPEN to CLOSED. But they never kicked us out.