What The Future Holds

Steve and I sat together on the couch, in our apartment. We were making phone calls all day, and confirming details about the wedding.

Steve hung up the phone and tossed it on to the coffee table.

"Who knew wedding planning could be so chaotic?" He comments.

"Yeah, well it's going to be the best day of our lives. We have to make sure that everything is perfect." I reply.

"Of course it's going to be the best day of our lives, but I'm sure we'll have some even better days ahead of us."

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"You talked about wanting a family. Don't you think that the day our child is born will be pretty great too?"

I chuckle lightly, "It might be a pretty good day for you, but I'm pretty sure that it won't be physically fun for me." I comment.

"Think on the bright side." He smiles. "Afterwards, we'll be a family. And we will have our first child."

"Do you want a boy or a girl?" I ask.

"I will be happy with either. But personally, I want a little girl." His reply surprised me. I would've thought that he would've wanted a boy.

"You want a girl?" I asked.

"I've always wanted a little girl. With long brown hair that matches yours. Who giggles and laughs all day. I want to give her a nickname, one that's unique to her personality. I hope she turns out like you, Alice. I hope she's strong, confident, fearless, brave, and beautiful, just like you." His words cause me to tear up. Just thinking about our future makes me excited.

"I've always wanted a little girl too. But I hope that she turns out like you. I hope she has your hair color and your big blue eyes. I want her to have your kind heart and your cuteness. I hope she'll be a daddy's girl." I smile.

Steve put his arm around me and pulled me in close. His kissed the top of my head.

"I want her to be just like you." He whispers.

"If there was another one of me running around the apartment, I hope that you can keep up with us both." I smile.

"I'm sure that I will." He replies.

This is perfect. We both want a little girl. I can't wait until we are married. I can't wait until we can have our own family.