The Phone Call (Pt.2)

Every second in between when I had answered the phone felt like a lifetime. So long. So terrifying.

"Hey sweetheart! How's my beautiful fiancé?" I was greeted by the cheerful voice, that was my fiancé.

"Steve? Oh my god!" I screamed. "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? WHY WOULD YOU CALL ME ON SHIELD'S NUMBER? I THOUGHT THEY WERE CALLING ME AND TELLING ME YOU WERE DEAD! WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!" I screamed into the phone.

"Well, it's nice to hear from you too." Steve replies sarcastically.

I brush the hair away from my face, hunched over on the couch. "Oh my god, Steve?! I just saw the news! You were on TV! They were talking about the battle. I saw you, running on the roof, and then you got knocked down. They said that there was one death reported! I got so scared when SHIELD'S number popped up on my phone."

"Alice, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you. I just wanted to call you. I'm coming home tonight." Steve's voice was so smooth, just hearing it made me calm.

"You're coming home?" I smiled.

"Yeah. I'm back at SHIELD now. I'll be home for dinner, tonight." Steve replies.

"Great! I've missed you so much. It's felt like eternity." I tell him.

"I hate being away from you." Steve says. "I'll be home in a few hours. And don't you worry. The worst I've got is a few bruises. Other than that, I'm just fine." Steve tells me. Good to know that he's not injured. No more scars.

"Well, I have some work that I can do at headquarters. I can meet you at headquarters, if you'd like."

"If you need to get it done, then you can come out. But it's your day off, you shouldn't have to come in to work." Steve tells me.

"Do agents ever stop working? And besides, it's been boring here. I've been out of the house once since you've left. So, I don't think coming into work is a bad thing." I say.

"Okay. Well, I will send a car to pick you up. I don't want you to drive the motorcycle. The roads are too slick."

"I'll met you at headquarters In about twenty minutes. Love you!" I smile.

"Love you too. See you soon." Steve hangs up the phone. I stuff my phone into my pocket. I go to my closet and change into a t-shirt and a pair of skinny jeans.

I slip on my Converse shoes and snatch the keys off the counter. I look in the hall closet and pull out a winter coat, after all, it's quite cold outside.

I lock the door behind me and dash down the hallway.

-POV Change-

A figure steps out from the shadows of the hallway. It's a man. He watches as Alice runs down the hallway and dashes down the stairs. He pushes the button on his earpiece and begins to talk.

"She's going down the stairs now."