Gone

-Steve POV-

"She did it for you." Fury informs me. His arms crossed, and head lowered.

I bite my tongue as I make an effort to hold back tears. Yes, I'm in pain from being held captive and being tortured. But there something much bigger tearing me apart on the inside.

Alice is gone.

My Alice... is just gone.

Her whereabouts are untraceable. And they don't even know if she's still alive. She could be dead right now.

I can't bare to even think about her being dead. The guilt would push me over the edge. I can't sit here without feeling that this is all my fault.

If I hadn't been kidnapped, I could be here with her. We could've gone back to our apartment, where we both live, and shared a wonderful life together.

It's hard to imagine life without my Alice.

I love her too much to lose her.

"She wanted revenge." Fury begins, "She wanted revenge for what happened to you."

I can't help but smile at that, "Yeah, that sounds like my Alice. My brave Alice." I say, my smile slowly fading.

"She certainly is courageous." Fury comments, a small smile forming in the corner of his mouth.

"And to think, she did this out of free will." I add.

Fury's smile fades quickly.

"What?" I ask.

He looks me dead in the eyes, "You see, that's the thing, Cap. I offered the mission to her."

My whole thought pattern changed. Fury offered her a mission to go? He asked her to go over and find the man who tortured me?

Alice didn't do this out of free will, Fury wanted her to go. Alice wanted revenge, and that I was certain about, but Fury had to ask her to go?

"You. Gave her. The mission?"" I grit through my teeth.

"She chose to go, Cap. I only made an offer, which she gladly excepted." He tries to explain.

Alice is gone because Fury suggested that she should go.

I don't feel so guilty anymore, now that I believe that he is to blame for this.