Fury Keeps Secrets

Steve would not stop talking about the water park. I'm glad that he enjoyed it, but I can't wait until I can take him to an amusement park. The looks on his face will be priceless.

I had changed back into my uniform and had returned to the base. Steve was working out at the gym, while I was busy tracking some of the other bases that Clint and Natasha were supposed to track down.I walked down a hallway, carrying a stack of folders with me. Not even noticing that the laces to my boots were untied, I tripped myself. I caught myself by landing on my knees. The folders hit the floor, papers scattering in all directions.

I sort out the papers and stuff them back into their proper folders. That's when I noticed a paper with a picture of my brother. A picture that was taken before the accident. It was a picture of him and I, hugging each other during our last family vacation. Off to the side, it listed information of my brother and I. Everything was correct, every small detail was very precise.

That's when I find another picture of my brother. The way he is today.

The coldblooded killer that he is.

I look at the page that described him during my first encounter with him. I checked everything to make sure there were no errors. But there was an error.

The location status was incorrect. Cole was being kept here, however, the paper listed his whereabouts as 'unknown'. That can't be right, I just saw him a few days ago! Someone obviously made a huge mistake.

I stood up and turned around. This was bothering me. Cole had tried to kill me twice already, and now his voice keeps echoing in the deepest parts of my mind.

"Third time's the charm!"

A shiver ran down my spine as I ran towards Fury's office. If Cole was missing, Fury would be the first to know. Please, let this just be a mistake.

I know that this time, my brother will kill me for real if he finds me.

-

"Tell me that this is all a lie!" I demand an answer from Fury. I throw the folder onto the glass table and watch as the folder slowly glides to the other side where Fury was standing. He crosses his arms and steps towards the table.

"What is a lie?" He asks, lifting the folder and seeing the contents.

"Tell me that Cole is not missing." I plead, scared for my life.

Fury takes a deep breath and closes his eyes. The folder snaps shut.

"Sorry, Alice." He states.

I shutter before my eyelids become brimmed with tears. This can't be true! This can't be happening to me! My murderer brother was free once again. And there's only one person with a target on their back.

Me.

"What? Why! When did he go missing?" I question on the verge of tears.

"The day before Steve was injured on your last mission." Fury replies.

"Why? Why didn't you tell me?" I demanded to know.

"You had your hands full. You were so concerned with the mission, and after Steve was injured I figured that I shouldn't give you anything else to worry about." Fury speaks.

I ran out the room.

I have to tell Steve.