Wounds And Wonders

I held the tissue against my nose, hoping that it would stop bleeding soon. But, that guy did punch me hard.

Steve sat next to me. He wasn't injured, but he followed me back to the hospital wing anyway.

I was waiting on Bruce to come back with some bandages. I had a few cuts on my face, but nothing too serious.

"Oh, that reminds me." I pull the tissue away from my nose and lean over towards Steve, plating a kiss on his cheek. "Welcome home, sweetie." I push the tissue back to my nose.

Steve grins and wraps his arm around my shoulder.

Bruce comes in, bandages and band aids with him. He sets everything down on a table.

"So, these guys, they just attacked you?" Bruce's asks.

"Yeah. I never saw it coming. They just came out of nowhere." I answer.

"Did they say something to you, you know, before I showed up?" Steve asks.

I freeze for a moment as Bruce puts a bandage on a cut above my left eyebrow. "Yes, they did." I answer.

"What did they say?" Bruce cuts in.

Steve's hand slides onto my lap and his fingers entwine with mine. I grasp his hand tightly. Bruce finishes applying the bandages and peels off his plastic gloves.

"They were with Cole, weren't they?" Steve asks. I turn towards him, his eyes were shimmering with worry.

I nod my head. There are no words to express how I feel. It's indescribable. Even after my brother's death, I still have a target on my back.

Bruce washes his hands and dries them with a towel. "I thought your brother was killed."

"He was killed. But someone must've stepped up to take his place. Someone took charge." Steve says.

"Alice, do you know who might've taken charge?" Bruce asks, his arms crossed.

I think long and hard. Who would have stepped up to take Cole's place. Did I encounter this person? It must've been someone who Cole trusted. Someone who was higher up on Cole's list of assassins. This person must be powerful.

"There's a piece of grass stuck in your hair, Alice." Steve says, interrupting my thoughts. He reaches up and pulls it out, accidentally yanking a hair out with it.

"Ow!" I grab the back of my head.

"Sorry." Steve frowns.

Then it hits me. Of course! Now it all seems so obvious!

"Don't be sorry! Steve! You're a genius!" I shriek. I jump up from my chair and dash towards the door.

"Alice, wait! You know who it is?" Steve stands and starts to walk towards me.

"Yes. He's pulled my hair one too many times."