four.

Four years ago

Charles and I were chilling at our favorite place. It was a quiet place by the docks where we had a nice view at the boats, or should I say yachts.

"One day we will own a yacht like that" I said as I pointed at the biggest yacht in the dock. Charles chuckled a little bit.

"And we will have the wildest parties on there" he started fantasizing with me. We probably both knew we would never own something like that but it was still nice to joke about it.

"I knew you would end up with Ferrari" I nudged him a little.

He smiled as he felt my elbow against his side. It wasn't a genuine smile though, I recognized his real smile, I knew him too well to believe that.
"Why aren't you happy though?"

"I am happy, of course I am" he nodded, but soon after there was a sigh. "I just wish my dad was here to see it" he said a little more quietly.

I felt bad, I obviously had to know he missed his dad, especially in times like this. I lost my mother too, but in a totally different way than he lost his dad.
"I'm sorry Charles. I'm sure he would be proud" I was never good with words, not about these things atleast.

Charles didn't need to be consoled by words. I knew it would be enough just to sit next to him for a while.
We just sat next to each other, in complete silence, but we both didn't mind. We enjoyed that.

Present day

Charles didn't even need to tell me where to meet. Just like old times probably meant by the docks. It was were we spend most of our time together so it would only make sense to meet there.

It was already evening, so it was getting colder. I ditched my dress for a cosy sweater and some black pants. I put my hair up in a ponytail and obviously left my sunglasses at home as well.

I walked up to our usual spot, but he wasn't there yet. Weird, I was the one who was usually late.

"Hi princess" I heard someone yell from a distance.

I looked at the direction where the voice came from but I didn't need to look for very long, I spotted Charles on the deck of a black yacht.

"Who did you steal that yacht from?" I laughed as I walked up to him.

I could hear him chuckle a little. "Some F1 driver" he shrugged his shoulders laughing.

I walked on the yacht and quickly hugged him. "I hate to tell you I told you so but I was correct" I laughed as I took a step back and looked around.

"Correct about what?" He titled his head a little. Okay note to self, not everyone remembers everything from four years ago.

We both sat down next to each other, just like we always used to sit. "I always believed you would be able to buy your own yacht" and I always believed in him as well.

"No, you told we would get a yacht" he corrected me. It wasn't condescending, because he knew I couldn't complain about money either.

I rolled my eyes laughing. "Because back then I thought we would end up together" it was something I've never said out loud.
Especially not to the guy himself. Fuck I was so stupid.

"You did?" He titled his head a little and I could feel how he was looking at me. I didn't have to look at him to feel his stare.

I tried to shrug it off. "Yeah years ago. Not anymore though" I nudged him playfully. "How are you feeling? Are you ready for the race?" I tried to change the subject.

It worked because he stopped looking at me and stared in front of him. "I am ready" he nodded, but it wasn't convincing at all. "I just don't wanna disappoint anyone" he looked up, at the sky.

It was obvious who he was referring to.

"And you won't disappoint anyone" I reassured him. "You're talented, just believe in yourself" I wanted to comfort him, I wanted to hug him but I didn't.

I recognized that look on his face. He wanted to sit in silence for a while and that is exactly what we did.
Just like four years ago, but this time we didn't need to fantasize, were actually sitting on a yacht.