51. Gold

"what's wrong?"

"We forgot the most important thing. The south bird."

"South bird?"

"Yes to reach the knock up stream. This is the grandline you can't know North from South without one. All a log pose does is use the magnetic pull of another island to be able to locate it. Other than that it's just sailing mindlessly." He was right there was no way to actually know where the South was. "Zoro that means that a bird is smarter than you!" Luffy said which wasn't a lie.

We left the house to start looking for the bird. It was late at night and we were running low on time since we had to leave the next day in the afternoon.

I had no idea how to make a compass in the grand line. So our only hope was to actually find this bird and use it. We split up into groups to work faster. I went with Zoro and Robin. Usopp, Nami and Sanji went together. The last group was Luffy and Chopper who I doubt would actually get much done. We were each given some butterfly nets to catch the birds. "How do we know which one it is?" Sanji asked.
"It's a weird sound you'll know it when you hear it." Guess we would just have to actually experience the bird to know entirely what we were looking for. We had been walking and then we suddenly heard screaming in the distance it sounded like Nami and Robin. "Leave them alone." Zoro didn't bother to know what was happening with our crew mates. The shrieks were concerning and especially from Sanji. Luckily they had captain Usopp who would protect them.

Walking further there was a giant centipede that was going for Zoro I was ready to fight it off but Zoro had already taken it down. "It's not good to kill everything you see. Poor thing.." Robin was sympathising with the fallen insect. We continue to head into the forest but Zoro was turning back. "That's the path we came from." Robin says. Zoro stops in his tracks. Maybe the curse was too strong for him to turn around. "Luffy was right you are lower than a bird." I said this and continued on with Robin. There was some quick sand she warned me about and I was able to dodge before falling in. She then proceeded to tell Zoro about it. "Watch out over there." A bunch of giant crickets come out to fight Zoro specifically. It seems that nature didn't like him too much. I felt some slight shaking and looked down. Maybe there was something there or maybe there wasn't it was barely even comprehensible. My thoughts were halted by the sound of struggling I looked back and Zoro had fallen into the place that Robin had specifically warned about. I grabbed both his hands and pulled him out saving him from sinking.

After walking for a while there was nothing in sight we could hear the weird cries though. "I can hear them but I can't see them." Robin was right with her fruit it would be easy to get one if she could at the very least see them. "We should head back and see whether the others had better luck." We then regrouped and nobody had succeeded in getting the bird. Luffy and Chopper came last and they brought with them a lot of bugs but no South bird. One of the birds landed on a branch and began making that weird sound that Chopper translated for us. The bird was mocking us but it was good that we found one and Robin captured it. "I just needed to see one."

Heading back to the house you had to bend over backwards dragging Luffy and Chopper away from the numerous insects that caught their attention. It was a short trip back and thus didn't take long to return. Walking closer something wasn't right. The place had been completely trashed and the merry split in half. Cricket and the monkeys lay there beaten and bruised and the inside of the house had been gone through looked like a little too aggressive of a burglary.
Nami being Nami rushed into the house and confirmed everyone's suspicions. "Luffy the gold has been stolen." This was horrible. After years of diving and even ending up sick because of it that gold was the only proof that there actually was a city full of it.

Cricket starts getting up and pulls out a cigarette. "That junk? Don't worry about it. Now we need to fix and reinforce the ship." He then exhales some smoke trying to play off the importance of the stolen goods focusing on getting us to the sky island and fixing the ship.