Chapter 4

"Good morning Sir Gas--- I mean Gaston and Ada, you will be working here in power transmission and distribution as part of your internship."

I've been telling our supervisor, Mrs. Ramirez, to stop calling me Sir since I am here as an intern. She's been here working with us since I can remember. I'm all good and there is nothing to worry about. I'm not gonna freak over titles.

"Some part of your internship would be, first, you will be able to experience visiting power plants just around the nearby provinces, doing the checking for possible faults."

I looked at Carmella beside me as she listened intently with her ice cold expression.

"Or you could be part of the assembling team as well, or if there is a chance you could present your own blueprint for power transmission."

I looked at her more as she was showing more amazement in her eyes as Mrs. Ramirez enumerated our possible duties.

Thank God! I chose the one that I think she will love the most. I should give myself a tap on my back for my job well done.

"Any question? Sir---I mean Gaston and Ada?" Mrs. Ramirez smiled at us warmly.

"None, Ma'am." Carmella answered plainly.

Tumingin naman siya sa akin kaya ngumiti ako ng marahan.

"None, Ma'am."

"Okay, good. You can take your own table now." She gestured to us at our table.

We will share a table with our own Pcs on, tamang-tama lang dahil malawak naman ang lamesa at may kanya-kanyang rin kaming cabinet at swivel chair. This is already good.

May kanya-kanyang cubicle and mga kasama namin at kami lang ang nasa mahabang lamesa na nasa pinakadulo nito. Almost all of them are men at pinakamalapit sa amin si Mrs. Ramirez. I am already familiar with them, lalo na at madalas ako sa opisinang ito.

We took our own seats which were aligned to each other. Mrs. Ramirez started giving us papers that just need some arrangement, a simple clerical work.

We took our time doing our own work, medyo marami-rami rin ang mga papeles, and are all about the previous and current projects of the company. I looked at her again as she started reading some of it, medyo natatagalan na siya sa pag aarange but it's fine. These projects picked her interest as she read it with amazement and it's juts so obvious on the way her eyes twinkled.

I could just call my father's secretary for my subscribed lunch, and for her as well but I won't do that. Carmella and I could go to the cafeteria instead. I just want to have a normal lunch with her in a normal setting.

We settled everything on our table and was supposed to ask her when she got her bag and got her own lunchbox. She might have noticed how I am staring at her and so she looked at me.

"Dito ako kakain." And with that, she started opening her small lunch box with a little rice on it and one boiled egg.

Iyon lang ang kakainin niya? What the! I looked at her unbelievably. I am sure she can afford more than this, she might be poor but not to this extent!

Nasaaan ang mga magulang niya at ganito lang ang ipinapabaon sa kanya? It's just literally a few tablespoons of rice and one small boiled egg! Isang subo ko lang ata ang baon niya. Anong magagawa niyan sa maghapon niyang trabaho? At ganito rin ba siya sa school?

Tumingin siya bigla sa akin kaya napaiwas ako ng tingin. 

"Mauuna na akong kumain" She coldly informed me and started digging in.

There is no way I let her eat just like that.

"Don't you know that our company is giving free lunches to all its interns?" Well, we don't but I need to make a move.