Chapter 28

I have plans on not making it on Saturday's dinner of Peter's family homecoming. But even so, I still have to tell Carmella about it. Mom has been nagging me too but I reasoned out that Carmella and I will have a date and she quickly accepted my reason.

For that reason, ayokong mag lihim ng kung ano sa kanya lalo na at narinig na namin pareho ang plano ng Papa niya sa amin. It will be a private dinner and I could sense that they will open up about their proposed arrangement.

We were both washing the dishes in my kitchen office when I bravely had the courage to tell her about it.

"Uhmmm, my parents will attend Peter's family homecoming."

I saw her stop moving then looked at me. Iniwas niya rin ang tingin sa akin kaagad at tinuloy ang paghuhugas na parang wala lang sa kanya ang narinig.

"But I won't attend." I added more.

I looked at her reaction and she stayed the same.

"You should go, your parents will go and so you should too." She calmly said with no hint of resentment at all.

"No. I won't." I chuckled nervously.

No one talked again between us until we finished everything. Hindi ko alam pero mas lalo akong kinabahan sa pagiging tahimik niya. We wiped our hands then she suddenly fully faced me after.

"It's fine, Gaston. You should go. Especially that you are Peter's friend." She opened up the conversation again.

Kaagad akong umiling sa kanya. "No. My parent---"

"Listen. I'm totally fine with it...and I trust you...I trust you, Gaston." She looked at me deeply in the eyes and all I could do was to slowly nood my head.

She let out a small smile after at alam kong talo na naman ako.

"Tskk." Iniwas ko ang tingin sa kanya.

But she only chuckled at my childish remarks.

"I just do want you to change things just because you are courting me now." She explains while gently looking at me now.

Fuck! She really knows when to use her charms against me, huh? God! Her gentle eyes and chuckles will kill me in no time.

"I'll change everything for you. Ako na ang kakampi mo sa lahat ng bagay." I reasoned out.

But she only chuckled again.

We eventually finished our day in the office. Hinatid ko ulit siya sa apartment nila at muli niya akong pinaalalahanan sa private dinner.

And so, I stood in front of them as they welcomed us into their home.

"Claudia, August! I'm glad you came!" Tita Sabel greeted us while she hugged and kissed Mom's cheeks.

"Where is your daughter?" Mom excitedly asked.

"Oh she's upstairs preparing pa."

The private event happened in their house. It's just a simple barbecue party with only a few guests. Most are their friends and families.

"Come inside. And oh! Gaston came too!" She looked at me as she led us the way to their infinity pool.

Karamihan ng mga bisita ay matanda at ilan lang ang nakikita kong kaedaran ko. I saw Peter in the barbecue area and I quickly ran to him.

"Gaston! I thought you're not coming?" He smiled at me warmly

Lumapit ako sa kanya ng tuluyan at tiningnan ang niluluto niya. "Carmella made me. We should date today though."