Chapter 6

"Oh! Nice to see you here...Carmella." I smiled at her warmly as she looked at me the same. Cold and distant.

Instead, she started picking out her grocery and her basket. I helped her pick up her groceries, scattered on the floor.

"You're doing your groceries at night?" I asked after picking up her items. 

Tinaasan niya lang ako ng kilay. "Oo." She plainly said and it's enough for me.

Tumalikod na siya sa akin at tinuloy ang pagpili ng mga bibilhin niya. I grabbed my biscuit and tailed her.

"Hmmm...I've got here my favorite...biscuit." She looked at the pack of biscuits in my hand as I smiled at her warmly. I don't even know what type of biscuit it is, but whatever.

"I was at a birthday party, I was supposed to go home when I remembered I don't have stocks anymore." I partly lied, partnered with a lame excuse.

I tailed her for a few minutes, I watched her choose her items carefully until she suddenly spoke. I attentively looked at her.

"Magbabayad na ako." She then started walking to the cashier.

I abruptly tailed her again. "Uhmmm, magbabayad na rin ako."

We were near the cashier when she suddenly stopped and looked at the tarpaulin standee. I also looked at it and saw that it was a raffle draw from the grocery store itself. It is their 10th anniversary and they are giving out prizes.

I looked at her as she looked at the details intently. So, can I conclude the way she looks at it na mahilig siya sa ganito? Raffles?

We then walked to the cashier. "Good eve Maam, Sir!" An elderly woman greeted us.

"Pwede po bang sumali sa raffle draw?" Carmella abruptly asked the cashier.

"Ay opo!" The cashier handed her some papers and to me as well. "Paki fill-up na lang po ng information niyo po at ihulog dito sa drop box. Twice a day lang po pwedeng mag hulog. "

Carmella filled it up habang inasikaso na ng cashier ang pinamila niya.

I looked at the cash prizes . For the first prize, there will be 2 winners worth five thousand pesos cash, the second prize, 2 winners of  grocery packages worth 3 thousand pesos, and the last prize, 5 winners of one thousand worth of grocery packages.

She finished doing her own paper and so I handed out mine, hindi ko naman kailangan.

"I don't need it." And smiled at her.

She didn't hesitate to get in my hand and filled it up quickly with her personal information. I was in awe as I've never seen her this excited over something. Well, that was cute.

She paid for herself and I paid for my own biscuit. We thanked the cashier and went out. Now, should I ask her if she would like me to take her home? Malalim na ang gabi at delikado na sa daan. This is probably my chance now!

"Do---"

"I'll go first, salamat." My smile faded as soon as she quickly turned her back on me.

I looked at her back as she moved away from me. Now, that quite hurts me a little bit. I looked at her back more and couldn't help but question myself. Why is she so cold and very distant?

Napababa ako ng tingin, I looked at the ground as if it would answer me. I heaved out a heavy sigh then looked at the grocery store again. My eyes settled on the tarpaulin and her eagerness to join the raffle draw popped up in my mind.

An idea suddenly popped out in my mind. Right! I could do that thing.

I went back hurriedly to the cashier. Dinantay ko ang palad ko sa counter.