Chapter 2

The next two weeks passed by in a blur, with Sev having to teach me more about potions and magic that I could now finally put it to use. I had always been a quick learner with magic, and even now I found the studies passed with ease.

Sev set a port key to Platform 9 3/4, which before now I hadn't even really considered the fact that I would be completely surrounded by wizards again in less than just a few weeks. 'I really have to get used to this,' I thought to myself. 'I'll never survive this place if I flaunt the fact that I only ever hung out with... muggles'. I cringed at their term for humans. Humans weren't that much different than us, and yet the wizards term for them seemed so.. condescending. I quickly shook the thought away.

As I made my way through the raging crowd someone stepped in front of me, blocking my way to the train. "Need help with your trunk?" he asked.

It was the boy from the broom shop.

"That would be wonderful, thanks." I replied. We stepped onto the train before he took my trunk and lead me down the halls of the train to an empty carriage. He lifted my trunk to put it into an overhead carrier, and then he sat down on the seats across from me.

"So, you're a new third year?" 

"Yeah. What house are you in?" I asked.

"Slytherin. Personally, it's the best house." he replied, smiling broadly.

"I've been told that before. I'm actually hoping I get sorted into it." I told him.

"Well I hope you do. We could become good friends. So what's your name?" he asked.

"Olivia. Yours?"

"Draco Malfoy." he replied. His grin was almost smug, like his name should mean something to me. "I'm also a third year."

I nodded silently as the doors opened. A boy with dark hair and glasses poked his head in. "Can I sit in here?" he asked, flashing a quick, tired looking smile.

"Too late Potter, this carriage is obviously occupied." Draco replied coldly.

"Potter?" I asked.

"Yes, the great and wonderful Harry Potter." Draco replied mockingly.

Harry ignored Draco and held out his hand. "Harry Potter. I don't recognize you, what's your name?" 

"Olivia." I replied.

"Well Olivia, guess I'll see you around." With one last glare at Malfoy, he left.

"So, never heard of the great Boy-Who-Lived?" Draco asked, looking at me curiously.

"I've heard his name once or twice. What house is he in?"

"He's in Gryffindor, but I wouldn't suggest wanting to be in Gryffindor. Hufflepuff, either. Ravenclaw, well, I might still be your friend." He started laughing, but I could tell he wasn't really joking.

"Snape is the head of Slytherin, right?" 

"Yes, Snape, the potions master. He's okay." Draco said.

"So I guess he's not the greatest Professor." I stated.

Draco shrugged. "Like I said, he's okay. Potions is my favorite class."

"I think I'll like potions" I said. We talked about a lot of things on the way, but I found my self struggling to keep my eyes open. I laid my head against the window to close my eyes for a bit, but a few seconds after I did so the lights went out. I yelped and shot up in my seat. "What's happening?" 

"I don't know. But the train stopped." He peeked his head out the carriage door. There were a lot of people out there yelling and screaming. He brought his head back in and slid the door closed.

"That was strange. Has this ever happened before?" 

He shook his head and looked back at me. "Not that I can ever remember." The train jolted a little as it began to start up again. After that occurrence, the rest of the way was pretty boring.

Finally after almost an hour, we arrived at Hogwarts. Draco and I squesszed our way through the wave of people and streamed off of the train with everybody else. We were forced to stop as the people in front of us stopped. I saw the half-giant, I couldn't remember exactly what Sev had said his name was, looking over everyone's head. His eyes fell on me.

 "Olivia!" he shouted. "Your supposed to ride in the boats with the 1st years for sorting."

"Okay!" I shouted back. He stopped where he was to wait for me to catch up to him. "See you later." I muttered as I passed Draco. I ran to Hagrid, and he lead me to the boats. I had to sit in the middle of all the 1st years.

As we neared the school, I saw the outlining of the castle. All the 1st years started gasping, and I had to stop myself from rolling my eyes. Finally we reached the other side of the lake, and everyone poured out of the boats.

Hagrid took us to the huge, oak front doors of the place and knocked loudly. The doors opened to show a strict looking woman. By Sev's decription of the other professors, I bet this was McGonagall. She got us in a line and took us to the Great Hall, and on the way she began explaining the four houses to the eleven year olds. 

Butterflies flew around in my stomach as we entered the Hall. I searched the tables until I spotted Harry. He smiled, which I returned with a small one of my own before I turned back to the front. I noticed someone had taken an old looking hat and put it on the stool. And as I watched, the hat began to sing.

When it finished its song, everyone in the Hall applauded. McGonagall stood in front of us and started explaininghow the sorting would take place.

She called name after name to the stool with the hat until I was the only one left unsorted. "Potter, Olivia!" she called.

As I went up, I saw everyone was looking at me curiously. But as soon as I sat, all I saw was the inside of the hat. "Ahh." a voice purred in my ear. "The other Potter. Very interesting. You don't want to be in Gryffindor like your brother, oh, but you got as much bravery as him, if not more! You're intelligent, too. You would certainly hold your own in Ravenclaw. But unlike your brother, you're powerful and yearn to show it. That settles the deal, then. The perfect house for you would have to be SLYTHERIN!"

The hat yelled the last word the whole Hall. I slid the hat off of my head to see everyone clapping. But that was nothing like what was coming from the far end of the room. The far table had erupted in cheers and shouts. I turned to see Draco smiling and cheering.

I grinned as I made my way over to sit by him. "I wondered why you only said your first name." He said in my ear. "But you know your extremely famous, right?" I nodded silently. "Only a few people ever knew about you. They were wondering when you would come. But of course they thought you would be with your brother. This is big. It didn't even look like your brother knew about you."

I looked over my shoulder to see Harry staring at me. Sitting by him was a girl with rather large teeth and very bushy brown hair. There was also a tall boy with ginger hair. It looked like Harry was talking to them. He caught my eye, then glared at Draco.

"What's up between you two?" I asked Draco.

"We're not the best of friends. Since first year he has despised, and he made the mistake of trying to humiliate me. I don't know what his problem is." came his response. "But you're not like him. I can't judge you because of him." He turned and started filling up his plate with food that just appeared.

I looked at him and smiled. "Thank you."

He returned the smile.