Chapter 60

Olivia’s POV

As we were hurrying along, Harry wouldn’t drop the subject. I knew that I made a bad decision with telling him. After thousands of questions, I finally snapped. “Harry, I really don’t want to talk about it right now.” I started to walk a little faster, but he wouldn’t be turned down that easily.

“Just one more question.” he insisted.

I stopped and he walked right past me. Hermione just about ran into me, but she stopped herself at the last second. Harry walked back to stand in front of me. “What’s the question, Harry?” I demanded and put my hands on my hips.

He glanced at Hermione quickly, then turned back to me. “How can you tell if you really are, you know… special?” he said cautiously.

I laughed and shook my head. “Special? Nice choice of words.” I said sarcastically. But I answered his question none the less. “We can find out later tonight. I can go into the moonlight, and if I start to change, we’ll have our answer, now won’t we?” I tried to walk past him, but he stopped me.

“Is that all? Just like that, you’ll change? What are we supposed to do when you can’t help us? You can‘t go into the moonlight. We can't chance that.” he said, almost pleadingly.

I shook my head again. “It’s not that simple, Harry. It won’t even take a lot of light.” I said sadly.

He stepped in front of me and put both of his hands on my shoulders and made me look into his eyes. “And you’re sure that’s what wrong?” he asked. I only nodded. He glanced at Hermione again. When he turned back to me, I could tell he made a decision about something. “Then all we need to do is keep you away.” he said with a smile.

“Harry, it isn’t-” I started, but he put his finger on my lips.

“Olivia, I’m pretty sure it would be painful to change from a human into a werewolf, and I don’t want you to go through that. So Hermione and I will do all we can to keep you away from the light.” he said quietly.

I smiled and gave him a hug. “You’re a good brother.” I whispered in his ear.

But before it got like the emotional family thing like in cheesy movies, I passed him and walked away quickly. Hermione laughed and ran to catch up. Harry was close behind. A few minutes later we were at the edge of the forest. Our past selves were just coming out of the hole by the tree.

I watched as my past self plopped down on the ground with Pettigrew next to me. He was mumbling to himself. Huh. Hadn’t seen that before. But I turned my attention to Harry. He had stepped aside with Sirius and they were talking.

“Sirius told me I could go with stay with him in a few summers.” Present Harry said from beside me. I was about to say that was great, but that’s when the moon came out. I watched as Lupin changed, and I was right behind him.

But as I was watching, I started to get really distracted. I didn’t even notice I was moving until Harry grabbed my arm. “What are you doing?” he asked loudly. I turned back to him, but then I noticed that I had moved forward, toward the moonlight. Harry was now behind me, when a few seconds ago him and Hermione were in front of me.

I went to take a step backward, but I was drawn to the light, and instead I shook Harry’s hand off my arm and took a small step forward. But now Hermione stepped in front.

She looked worried, and she put her hands on her shoulders. “Olivia, you can’t do it.” Then she looked back at Harry. “She’s drawn to the moonlight. That’s why werewolves can’t just stay inside when there’s a full moon. I don’t think we’ll be able to hold her back.”

I wasn’t really paying attention anymore. I just had a really strong urge to get past Hermione. But Harry jumped in front of me. Now I was just getting annoyed. But I kept my mouth shut. I don’t know why it felt so important though. I just felt like I needed to get out of the shade. It took a few seconds for me to realize that Harry was talking.

“Olivia, calm down. You need to stay here. This is important, Olivia. Please, just stop.” He kept talking to me slowly, like I was three, and it didn’t help anything. I tried to get past them, but they wouldn’t budge. That’s when it tipped me over the edge.

“Just move!” I said loudly. I saw Harry and Hermione share a glance, but it only lasted a second. After the shared look, Hermione sighed and stepped aside. Harry looked at her in shock.

“She’s going to get past us one way or another. Might as well not get her worked up.” It took a few seconds, but Harry finally moved also. I took a few steps forward, and when I stepped into the light, nothing happened.

But then it hit me, the impact so intense it literally took my breathe away and drove me to my knees. There was a sharp pain in my chest that wouldn’t go away, and just got worse by the second. I yelled out in pain, but it didn’t sound anything like me. It was a loud howl, and when I heard myself, I was disgusted.

But what I hated the most, I was aware of what was happening. The thing I had feared most had happened. I was turning into a werewolf, and there was nothing I could do.

I was pulled back into the shade, and slowly the pain subsided. I looked up, and Harry was right next to me, and it was easy to see he was scared as hell. He didn’t even look up at Hermione when she hit his shoulder to get his attention. “What?” he asked sharply, and she looked down at him in shock, but quickly shook it off.

“When she called out, Lupin stopped. We have to call again, get him away from Sirius, like when he ran away earlier.” she said and crouched down next to Harry. “Can you stand?” she asked me. I only had enough energy to shake my head. I didn’t notice how much the little changing thing had effected me.

She looked back and saw something that worried her, because when she turned back to us, she looked kind of scared. “Guys, he’s about to take Sirius down.” she told us and turned back. I couldn’t stay conscious long enough to see what they were going to do next.

Harry’s POV

When Olivia stepped out from the cover of the trees, she kept clenching and opening her hands like she always does when she’s nervous. After a few seconds, everything looked fine, and I thought that Hermione was wrong, when Olivia dropped to her knees. She clenched at her chest, then yelled out, and I was scared to death by the look of pain on her face.

When I couldn’t take it anymore, I pulled her back, and I was relieved when she calmed down. She could barely open her eyes, and I could tell just how much energy it took out of her. I was about to say something to her, when Hermione nudged my shoulder. I didn’t mean to get annoyed, but I just wanted to talk to Olivia right then. “What?” I snapped, and when she didn’t respond right away, I regretted it.

“When she called out, Lupin stopped. We have to call again, get him away from Sirius, like when he ran away earlier.” told us and crouched down next to me. “Can you stand?” she asked Olivia. She could only shake her head.

Hermione nodded, then turned back to the scene by the Whomping Willow. “Guys, he’s about to take Sirius down.” she said and looked at me expectantly. But I only had eyes for Olivia. I was about to ask her what she thought we should do, when she passed out. I hit the ground, cursing. I was hoping she was going to be fine.

“Just make the noise Hermione. We have to at least save Sirius.” I grumbled, still looking at Olivia. I bent down and picked her up. It always surprised me how light she was.

As Hermione howled, I heard another creature coming toward us. I turned to the trees, but couldn’t see anything. As I heard Lupin rush toward us, Buckbeak came into view. When Lupin got to us, Hermione and I started to run away, but I stopped as Buckbeak stepped around us.

I turned as he attacked Lupin. I stepped behind a few trees, but got into a place where I could still see what was going on. After about five minutes of them fighting, Buckbeak scared Lupin off, and he ran further into the forest.

As Hermione and I came out from behind the trees, Buckbeak came forward and bent down in front of me. I slid Olivia onto his back and he readjusted his wings so she wouldn’t fall off.

When I was sure she was secure there, I looked at Hermione, and I could tell we were thinking the same thing. “Sirius.”