Chapter 58

Harry’s POV

I got up slowly and stepped in front of Sirius with my wand raised. “Expecto Patronum!” There was a slight flicker, but nothing happened. ‘Happy thoughts’ I reminded myself and tried again, but nothing happened.

The dementors flew down farther, and I could feel the temperature drop, the small bit of warmth leaving the air immediately. I tried once more, and I finally got a shield up, but it wasn’t very strong and they broke through easily. One came down right in front of me and I was forced to my knees by the impact. Another one came down and flew barely a foot from Sirius. He shuddered, then went limp again.

They just kept coming.

I was struggling to stay conscious when yet another came down in front of Sirius. While it was in front of him, this little orb of light floated out of his mouth. I jumped back in horror when I realized what it was doing. The dementor’s kiss.

Then there was a flash on the other side of the lake. I looked up in time to see a dark silhouette guiding a patronus forward with their wand. The dementors flew away quickly and slowly the little orb went back into Sirius’ mouth.

As I lost consciousness, I noticed the patronus was a stag. Just like my father’s.

Olivia’s POV

When I woke up, I had a killer headache. I groaned quietly and opened my eyes. I looked around, but the light was too bright and I looked down. I noticed my arm was wrapped up, but it felt just fine. I moved it around and didn’t feel any pain. Weird. But when I sat up, my side felt like it was on fire. I looked down again and saw I had a long gash. I grimaced and laid back down.

I heard someone yelp and turned to see Ron in the corner on a bed. I looked around and noticed we were in the Hospital Wing.

Then it came back to me. Lupin changing into a wolf, me changing to stop him, Sirius coming to help, and then, nothing. I tried hard to remember what happened with Lupin, but I couldn’t.

Ron yelped again and I sat up, but more slowly this time. When I turned to him, I noticed the state he was in. His foot was bleeding badly and was staining the white clothe covering it. He had his eyes shut tightly and he was gripping the bed sheets so hard his knuckles were white.

Madame Pomfrey was taking the wrap off his foot and was muttering a spell to stop the bleeding. When she was done, Ron had calmed down and he fell back onto his pillow. He was extremely pale. She turned and jumped when she saw I was awake. She placed the cloth on a side table and came over to me.

“Now, sweetie. You need your rest. Just lay back down.” She gently pushed me back and smiled at me. Then she just turned and left. After a few minutes, I looked to see if she was coming back. When I didn’t see her, I sat up again. I heard someone laugh and I turned to see Harry lying in the bed next to me.

“You really need to start listening to people.” he said and sat up. “Are you alright?” he asked and nodded toward my side. I looked down and sighed.

“I’m fine. What happened to you? Why are you in here?” He looked toward the door to see if anyone was coming, and when he didn’t see anyone, he turned back.

“I was trying to protect Sirius. That was one nasty fight you guys had with Lupin. After Lupin ran away, Sirius passed out by a lake in the forbidden forest. I just got to him when all these dementors came. I tried to fight them off, but it was almost impossible. But before I passed out, I was saved by someone across the lake. And,” He looked around again and dropped to a whisper. “I swear, I saw dad.”

He waited for my reaction. I didn’t want to make him feel bad by saying something wrong, or suggest that I think he hit his head pretty hard when he passed out, but it was hard. He sounded pretty crazy. But I chose my words carefully. “Why? I mean, what makes you think that?”

He looked relieved that I was trying to understand and didn’t just come out and say he was insane. “The patronus was a stag. Lupin said dad’s was a stag. I saw him. Not very clearly, but I saw him. The messy black hair and glasses. It had to be him.”

I really wanted to believe him, I really did. But this was too much. Instead of replying, I nodded toward Ron. “Do you think he will be okay?” I asked and moved the covers so I could get up.

Harry shrugged and went to do the same, but stopped and smiled at me. “Now sweetie, do you think this is wise? You need your rest.”

I laughed and got up. I limped over to Ron (My side hurt a lot) and got a closer look at his leg. It looked pretty bad. Harry was right behind me. When he saw Ron’s leg, he grimaced and looked away. I took a few more steps so I was at the top of his bed and I gently nudged his arm. He cracked his eye open and when he saw me, he started to sit up, but I held him down.

“I don’t think you should do that.” I cautioned and looked down at his leg again. “Are you alright?” I asked. He nodded slightly, still not opening his mouth.

Harry started to talk about what happened after Ron passed out, when I heard someone coming. I immediately tried to find out who it was by their thoughts. Sometimes my gift was pretty useful. I calmed down when I saw it was Hermione. I looked back to Harry and Ron.

“Hermione’s coming.” I said as the doors opened. And in walked the bushy haired brunette. She quickly walked over when she saw us.

She smiled at me and stood at the end of Ron‘s bed. “Looks like Snape knows a thing or two about healing.” she said and waved her hand at my arm. “Too bad he couldn’t heal the scratch on your head. He tried, but it didn’t work. It didn’t work with your side either. Weird.” She looked down at Ron and sighed. “He didn’t try with you.”

Ron shook his head and looked at me again. “Well of course he would try to help Olivia. He would do anything for her.”

I sighed and shrugged. “What do you expect? I’ve lived with him for 12 years. He’s like a father to me.”

Harry was about say something, but stopped himself. Instead, Hermione changed the subject. She turned to Harry with a frown. “They have Sirius. I don’t know where, but they have him. And they’re planning to perform the dementor’s kiss before the night is over.”

Harry shook his head as the door opened yet again. Dumbledore walked in this time. Perfect timing. Harry ran over to him. “They can’t give Sirius the dementor’s kiss! He’s innocent!” He said, not caring how loud he was.

Dumbledore put his hand on his shoulder to calm him down. “I’m sorry Harry, but there’s nothing I can do. The minister has made up his mind. I don’t think he’ll listen to a few teenagers.”

Hermione sighed. “But there has to be a way. Don‘t we have enough time?”

Dumbledore and her shared a look for a second. “Mysterious thing, time. Sirius Black is in the topmost cell of the dark tower. You know the laws, Miss Granger. You must not be seen, and you would do well to return before this last chime. If not, well, let's just save that for later. If you succeed tonight, more than one innocent life may be spared. Three turns should do it, I think.” He was about to leave, but turned back to us. “Oh, by the way. When in doubt, I find retracing my steps to be a wise place to begin. Good luck.”

We were silent for a few seconds, then Ron looked at Hermione. “What the bloody hell was that all about?” I laughed and Hermione pulled Harry closer and reached for her necklace.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa. I’m coming, too.” I said and hurried over to them. Hermione looked at me doubtfully.

“Are you sure, Olivia? The scratch on your side looks pretty serious.”

I shook my head. I wasn’t going to change my mind. “I’m fine. Plus, I want to know what it feels like.” I said and stepped next to her. She shrugged and took out the timeturner. She put it around all of our necks and turned the little hour glass looking thing three times, and slowly everything faded around us.