A sliver of hope

Taehyun's team and Beomgyu's team became one as they searched the area around the tower. Upgraded sonar devices were placed within a 2 mile circle of the coordinates they were provided.

They found the tower to be a stand alone. It wasnt surrounded by anything else. There were wires though. Lots of them, connected to the base. They did their best to follow where the wires went. Most of them disappeared into thick structures. The walls of that entire city had to be thick to survive natural events as the earth tried to correct itself.

The wires they were able to track, stretched for 60 miles across. The walls stopped at 55. Taehyun asked "Beomgyu do you know what this means?"

"That its literally going to take forever to scope how big the city is let alone find where the hell Kai is within it?"

"Yeah... it's almost twice as big as the globe Beomgyu. We have no idea how many people are inside too. I haven't even seen one place where they could've come from. No door, no false rock, nothing."

"How do we tell Yeonjun that Kai's best chance is saving himself?"

Taehyun grabbed Beomgyu's shoulders and held them firmly. "We dont. Not until we look more okay? Once we get the full perimeter down, we look for a bit more and if we can't find anything, then we tell him."

Beomgyu tilted his head to the side to indicate he was confused.

Taehyun looked down for a moment then back up. "If Kai saves himself itll mean war. I'll lead the team out here. You need to focus on strengthening our defenses with Soobin and the govenor okay?"

"Wait. Wait no. What do you mean war? Kai can save himself and he will come home and itll be over and-"

Taehyun started to violently shake Beomgyu. "Stop! If Kai escapes, theyll come after him! War! If Kai dies, we go after him. War! If Kai kills Jungkook, theyll kill him and then us! War! You want to know the only 2 ways this doesnt end in war Beomgyu?!"

"...how?"

"If Kai leaves Yeonjun for Jungkook then the cities will unite by marriage. OR we find the ways in and attack before they do."

"But its going to take forever to find a way in and Kai will never..." Beomgyu stopped talking. He hated everything about this. "I'll tell Soobin and Steven when we get back."

Taehyun went to go back to work but Beomgyu pulled him back. "What?"

"You know Kai pretty well... would he leave Yeonjun to save his life? Would he actually marry Jungkook if it meant Yeonjun didnt have to go to war?"

"What do you think?"

"That would crush him! He already tried to kill himself once!"

"And what do you think Kai would do after that?"

"...kill himself."

"Go back and prepare the city. I have to find out how to get in. It's our only shot at making this end well for everyone."

Yeonjun was endlessly training in the practice room. No one let him do any work. He had to distract himself somehow. Thanks to all the extra time he had now to think, he already figured out war was inevitable.

His husband would also absolutely marry Jungkook if it meant saving him from a potential death and he hated it. He yelled into the empty room "I HOPE YOURE OKAY WITH AFFAIRS JUNGKOOK BECAUSE KAI LOVES ME! GO FUCK YOURSELF!"

No one heard him which maybe was a good thing. He continued to practice on the Kamal level. He couldnt touch Kai's results but he was getting awfully close. Part of him didnt want to get there. Kai was the best in his mind. Beating his scores would be like replacing him. Kai Kamal Choi-Huening was not replaceable.

When he didnt train, he researched everything he could on Jungkook. The intern now had a team of 3 people to help locate and break into the network. They havent yet but Yeonjun felt like they were close.

He was able to find a few things and he really hated it. His life was eerily similar to Kai's. Yeonjun realized Jungkook wasn't just attracted to his husband's looks. He was attracted to Kai because he found someone similar to him.

In his depression, Yeonjun glanced over to the wedding ring sitting in a glass box. He placed it on his finger and hoped that for a moment, Kai was looking at his too.

Kai was. He was fidgetting with his under the willow tree waiting for Jungkook to return. His sense of time told him he had been gone for 2 hours.

The blood on the door turned to a dark brown. His cuts have long stopped bleeding.

Kai was so bored. He took a shot in the dark and tried something. "Indigo?"

"Yes Kai?"

His eyes grew wide. "Indigo what are my permissions?"

"You can alter the room. Order food. Call Jungkook."

"Can I leave?"

"No."

"Figures. Call Jungkook."

"Right away Kai."

Jungkook answered. "Took you long enough."

"Drug me."

"What?"

"You heard me."

"Im afraid youll have to say it again."

Kai wanted to strangle him. "Drug me."

"Not that Im against it but why?"

"When I was last in prison, I had Yeonjun the entire time. Ill go insane if I dont have anyone at all. I'll be useless to everyone, including myself, if that happens."

"So youre admitting you want me around?"

"What are you even doing?"

"Nothing important. I'll be back soon with your request." Jungkook hung up.

Kai finally had a plan. It was insane but it could work. He could find a way to drug Jungkook like he drugged his father. If that happened, Jungkook would be willing to do anything for him.

He remembered how annoyed his 'husband' got when he had to introduce himself a second time. Surely he asked Namjoon to fix that issue. That was it. He had to wait until the memory problem was fixed. Jungkook had to remember everything if he was going to be helpful in Kai escaping. He found hope again.

Yeonjun and Kai sat there staring at their rings. They thought of each other. Promised to be better husbands if they got the chance. They whispered to their rings "just wait a little bit longer. Im coming for you."