Testing the antidote

Amaris really had been close to the antidote. So close that he made Taehyun stop working on the original serum to help him. When they believed they had it, they switched over to finish the original serum so they test the antidote against it.

Minho escorted several death row inmates to the lab so they could test both formulas on them. Yeonjun watched the testing begin. The original formula was sucessfully duplicated. The inmates fell in love with whichever scientist was in front of them and got brain splitting headaches at the thought of betraying them.

However, the antidote only worked on 1 out of 10 of the inmates tested. 4 of them died, 2 showed no effect at all and the other 3 simply puked the antidote out.

Yeonjun had another boxing session with the punching bag after seeing that. The only thing in the world that he wanted was his husband back. Really back. The Kai he remembers, not the Kai he was formed to be now.

The field team spent less and less time in the field. It was starting to become a lost cause. The scientists went back to the lab while the soldiers protected the border.

Yeonjun kept a lot of tabs on Kai in the subterranean. He looked like a proper general. There wasnt a single public video of him without Jungkook in it. They seemed to spend every second together.

The only videos he could find of Kai alone, was in his office. He seemed to do something daily, something that had him in immense pain. He realized Kai was thinking about him. Yeonjun let a few tears fall through his smile. Kai risked his life every single day to think about him. All the happiness he saw with Jungkook was bullshit. This was real love.

Beomgyu walked into his office to ask why he was crying. Yeonjun simply said "Kai still loves me."

Beomgyu walked over to the video monitor and saw the small clip playing on repeat. "He's still himself!"

"Why are you here Beomgyu?"

"Theyre about to test the next batch of the antidote. I thought you might want to see."

Yeonjun got up to leave. Beomgyu followed closely behind. The two leaders watched the scientists drug different death row prisoners. Their eyes turned green, they fell in love, they were tested on betrayal. Then the antidote was injected. It worked on 4 prisoners this time. Progress except the other 6 died.
So right now if Kai was injected, it was either die or be cured.

Weeks past. Yeonjun continued to watch Kai sit at his desk for 3 minutes and remember every day. He studied what he could on Kai as the acting general. Read every article put out. Watched the soldiers stats improve ten fold. They were still nothing compared to the army in the globe but now they could at least present a challenge.

Yeonjun was training the newly promoted jade level soldiers when Beomgyu barged into the room. "YEONJUN! YEONJUN!"

"For gods sakes what Beomgyu?"

"JUNGKOOK IS OUTSIDE!"

They ran outside to see Jungkook standing there with a gun in his hand. He waved and said "just the man I was looking for."

Beomgyu pushed Yeonjun backwards and yelled "get out of here!"

Yeonjun charged forward but Beomgyu pushed him back again whispering "we did this shit remember? Its a diversion. Kai is around here. Go find him! Go!"

"But-"

"Go!"

Yeonjun ran as he heard a series of gunshots break out behind him. He refused to look back because if he did, he would stop trying to find Kai and help his best friend instead. He kept running. Taehyun stopped him and handed him the antidote. "He could die but he could also be cured. Its just an option if he's about to run okay?"

The general took it and ran some more. He took a second to think of the possible places Kai would go. He tried home first. Maybe there's something there he needed, maybe he just wanted to be home again.

Kai wasnt there. The next place he tried was the base. Perhaps there was a weapon he wanted like his sniper rifle.

No tall blonde. He tried the lab next. Maybe he knew they were working on the antidote so Kai was going back to steal their supply.

Amaris saw the young general panting in his doorway. "Why are you here? Are you okay?"

"Has..." Yeonjun was trying to recapture his breath. "Have you seen Kai? Jungkook is outside right now fighting Beomgyu. I-I think Kai is looking for something while that's happening out there."

Amaris looked down to see the serum Taehyun handed him. "Give me that. I just finished a new batch. It hasnt been tested but it should give you better odds than that one."

They traded vials. Amaris asked "think Yeonjun. Lets say he was trying to steal something. He would do it to protect you. He isnt here. Where else have you tried?"

"The main base and our house."

"Okay. What else could he do to protect you? Youre his husband. You know him. Think."

"He... he would leave me. If he left me Jungkook would leave me alone."

"Go to the small courthouse! Now!"

Yeonjun ran again, faster than he had ever ran before. His legs and lungs were burning but he only felt the fear of losing Kai again.

He burst the door open and saw him. "Kai!"

Kai held out a small stack of papers and presented them to Yeonjun without looking at him. "Sign them."

Yeonjun threw them against the wall. "Look at me."

"It'll kill me if I do."

"It'll kill me if you dont."

Kai slowly looked at him. Yeonjun forced his tears back. Those ambers were there but the love wasnt.

The blonde picked up the stack of divorce papers off of the ground. "Im trying to save us. Im trying to save our cities from going to war. Please sign them."

"Im not signing those Kai!"

The blonde looked at him in the eyes again. A couple of tears fell as he yelled "I DONT LOVE YOU! I LOVE JUNGKOOK!"

Yeonjun brushed the tears off of his cheek. "You wouldnt be crying if that was true. You barely cry... only at things that really affect you. I love you so much. I havent given up on you honey. Im so sorry for this." He stabbed the antidote into Kai's shoulder.

Jungkook came into the room to see Kai on the floor with a needle in his arm. His eyes were closed. "What did you do to him?! Did you kill him?!"

Yeonjun ignored him and ran over to Kai passed out on the ground. He felt a gun to the back of his head. He gripped Kai's hands tighter.

Jungkook threatened "if he doesnt wake up, you wont either."

They watched for signs of life but couldnt find any. Yeonjun pleaded for his husband to wake up. Jungkook began to cry seeing his piece of heaven frozen on the ground.

"Please wake up baby... please Kai you have to wake up..." Yeonjun heard the gun cock. "If he doesnt wake up, you'd be doing me a favor. I'd rather die than live a life without Kai."

The blonde on the ground still hadnt shown any signs of life.

Jungkook choked back a sob and threatened "guess you'll get your wish."