Yeonjun's birthday

Literal months had passed since he last saw Kai let alone heard from him. Not a single part of his heart and soul stopped loving him. He wasn't giving up and he knew his husband wasnt either.

The Kangs and Namjoom were secretly working together but their progress was slow. They barely communicate often because Jungkook was always watching. To communicate, Namjoon wrote letters and sent one of his lab assistants out in the dust to bury it. A Kang or one of their lab assistants would retrieve it between 24-72 hours later so it wouldnt seem suspicious. Theyd exchange letters twice a month and werent gone for less than 5 minutes.

Yeonjun retrieved one of the letters once, then started arguing with the Kangs about their lack of progress. The brightest minds in the world were being really slow (to him) on developing a new drug. He was banned from collecting letters shortly after.

All of his anger from losing Beomgyu to losing his husband went into training. He even did a 15,000 second wall sit once. His mind map changed to Kai and him in their house. His dreams, day and night, were always about his husband.

The last dream had him and Kai in a grassy meadow. Kai's beautiful amber eyes sparkled in the sunlight as he was painting the outside window shutters blue. It was their dream house.

Yeonjun was painting the other window. He got blue paint all over his hands which made Kai laugh at him. He ran up to his husband and left a lot of handprints on his ass. Kai tackled him to the ground and lightly choked him in their kiss. He pulled away and there was a blue handprint on his neck. It gave Yeonjun the idea to get a little experiemental with the paint.

Blue decorated Kai's blonde strands as he ran his hand through his hair. Kai pulled back and said "I love you Yeonjun. You need to find me okay? I cant do this on my own. Find me. Find me. Find me." Kai faded away in his arms.

Yeonjun woke up more determined than ever to find him. War didnt seem so bad if he got the satisfaction of killing Jungkook and getting his husband back on the same day. He got dressed in a stealth suit and walked into the garage. Soobin stopped by and asked "where the hell do you think youre going?"

"To get my husband back. Now get out of my way."

"I came here to tell you they made a breakthrough at the lab."

Yeonjun loosened the grip on his bike. "They finished it? The prototypes are ready?"

"No. They think they found an entrance."

Yeonjun impatiently asked "well? Where is it?!"

"I'm not telling you. I was going to but youre going to walk straight into your death. Youre no good to anyone, especially Kai, if youre dead."

"Dont you dare use my husband against me! We havent heard from him in months! He could be dead!"

"Namjoon wouldve told us if he was."

"Yeah? How do we know for sure he's even helping us? He could be laughing with Jungkook for all we know!"

"We dont know but it's the best hope we have."

Yeonjun started his bike. He was tired of being told to wait. Waiting hasnt done anything. His husband hasnt truly been his for almost a year now. He put his helmet on and warned the young govenor to get the hell out of the way.

Soobin put his hands on the bike and didnt move. "I'll tell you where the entrance is if you promise to never go there."

Yeonjun revved the engine. "Tell me or-"

"-or what? You're going to kill me? Imprison me? You'd be just like Jungkook."

"YOURE JUST LIKE HIM. YOURE KEEPING KAI FROM ME."

"IM TRYING TO KEEP MY BEST FRIEND'S IDIOT HUSBAND ALIVE!"

"I CAN TAKE CARE OF MYSELF."

Soobin almost gave in and told him the coordinates. He scowled at Yeonjun for almost breaking him. He begun to get mad at himself for letting the other's stubbornness get inside his head. If they were in the opposite positions, he would've been doing the exact same thing. Right now, Soobin had to be the voice of reason before he lost someone else he cared about. "What do you want me to tell Kai when he gets out and finds out you're dead?"

"Im not going to die."

"I'll tell you the coordinates when you write me a letter to give to Kai when you die. I know I'll be seeing my best friend again. I probably won't see you if you insist on doing this. Get me that letter then come find me."

Yeonjun turned his bike off as Soobin walked out the door. That threat worked. He sat there trying to get his emotions under control. The idea of writing a letter to his husband from beyond the grave was something he couldnt cope with. It would mean there wasnt a single chance he could see Kai again. Kai would move on, maybe marry Jungkook instead. Or even Soobin for that matter after he had time to grieve. That thought killed him more than anything.

In a depression, he went back to bed. He shut all the lights off and cried himself to sleep.

His new dream consisted of him being a ghost. He was watching Kai get ready for his wedding with Jungkook. Soobin was fixing his tie, helping him finish getting dressed. He complimented Kai's green eyes and told him they looked better than his amber ones.

"No they fucking dont!" he yelled into Kai's ear but the blonde didnt hear him.

Suddenly Jungkook and Soobin switched places. Jungkook was telling Kai that Soobin was lucky to have him and that if he ever changed his mind, he would wait for him.

As the wedding progressed, Jungkook and Soobin kept switching places. Kai was kissing one then kissing the other. Yeonjun could only watch. As Kai and his husbands made their way inside the house, Yeonjun became real. The husbands were gone and it was just Kai and him standing in the living room.

The blonde asked "why did you let this happen? I never wanted them Yeonjun. I only wanted you."

"I... Kai are you okay? Please come home. I dont know how much more of this I can take."

Kai took his hands and looked up. There was a blue handprint around his neck with handprints leading down and around to his ass. "This is everywhere he touched me Yeonjun. Why wasnt this you?"

Yeonjun began yelling "WHERE ARE YOU KAI? PLEASE! I NEED TO WAKE UP! YOU NEED TO COME HOME!"

Kai kissed him and whispered "baby it's time to wake up. Wake up. Wake up. Wake up."

Yeonjun woke up in a cold sweat to Taehyun telling him to wake up. "What? What now Taehyun?"

"...happy birthday Yeonjun.... Kai sent you a gift with the letter we got this morning..." Taehyun offered him an envelope which Yeonjun snatched out of his hands.

Inside contained a vial of green liquid and a note. "It's the last one. I finally managed to get into the cabinet. If they dont get this fucking pill figured out soon, Im going to the globe myself with Jungkook. Stab me with it. Make sure I see YOU first and I'll kill him. His body will be left in the dust. It will be an accident right? I was supposed to see him first and it just backfired? No one was at fault? Burn this letter. I love you Yeonjun. Happy birthday baby"

Yeonjun was so happy he lept into Taehyun's arms. This was the best birthday gift he couldve recieved. "How close are you in the pills?"

Taehyun replied "a few months out. We're trying our best. Even with Kai's new plan, we still want to complete this. It would give us the edge we need in a war."

Yeonjun hugged Taehyun again. The scientist left and Yeonjun held the green vial up to the light. Maybe emerald eyes werent so bad afterall.