Part 33 Accident

Hey guys, thank you for your votes and comments.
Continuing from the last part,

Reshma's story began when she was eleven years old.  

It was love at first sight. She liked Atharv the first moment she laid her eyes on him.

His parents were also ex-workers from the textile factories. But unlike her, he has lots of friends. He seemed to be living a happy and contented life.

She has nothing. She did not like going home. Some nights, she could hear squeaky beds, heavy breathing and moaning sounds. Each time, a different man walks out of her mother’s bedroom in the morning.

In 2018, her father abandoned the family. He went off to Guwahati with another woman. But rather than feeling sad, Reshma felt relieved. She was fed up with the constant fighting between her parents.

However, the peaceful times didn’t last long.  

Two years after her father left, her mother was made redundant. 

A middle aged woman with no formal education or specialised skill. She turned to prostitution to support herself and her daughter.

Her mother did her best to solicit in areas away from Reshma’s school and where her friends live. Her classmate assumed her mother was working as a labourer out of town. But every time Reshma took the money to pay for school fees, she felt dirty and disgusted.  

She didn’t always hate Meera. But she decided to ‘befriend’ her after Meera started the rumours about Atharv being an homosexual.

No one can defame her prince. She decided to become Meera’s friend first, then she will find an opportunity to avenge her.

The murder was an impulsive decision.

That evening, Meera received a call from Atharv. Meera asked Reshma to leave first. The arrogant and joyous smile on Meera’s face infuriated her.  

Atharv was falling for this shallow and bossy girl?

She tried to persuade Meera not to meet up with him: “Tumne toh kaha tha ki you are over him?  Phir bhi tum wahan usse Milne kyon jaana chah rahi hoon?”

But Meera knew her secret.  She said scornfully: “Tumhe kya lagta mujhe tum Atharv k liye kya feel karti ho... pta nahi hain? Shame on you jo apni hi achhi dost ka boyfriend chura chahti hain..” ( I just don't with her mentality as well mtlb first ki woh uska boyfriend hua nahi aur doosra koi cheez toh hota nahi ki chori kre toh ho jayega.. insaan h so agr bf k Mann me ditch krne ki feeling ho.. thoda chahe usse safe me band kr do.. woh toh chori hona h.. and yeh toh h bhi nahi.. chhodo waise bhi yeh toh passerby h.. leads nahi h meri story ke)

Reshma secretly followed Meera up the hill. 

Atharv hadn’t arrived yet. So she appeared and apologised to Meera.  She assured Meera she will stay away from Atharv…

When she saw the blood gushing out of Meera’s wound, and her body convulsing, a great joy swept over her.  

It was a thrilling experience.  
________

A few hours later, she found Atharv on top of an empty watch tower. 

This was the place he usually hangs out when he was not happy. Sitting by himself, looking far into the horizon. She found out about this place years ago. She used to stand quietly at the corner, just looking at him… 

That night, she approached Atharv: “What’s the matter? Kuch pareshan kar Raha hain kya tumhe?”

Atharv’s face was very pale. He looked like he was still in shock.  “Ah… nothing…  Reshma, aaj raat mujhe yeh sheher chhod kar jaana hoga. I might not see you again. You take care.”