Part 34 Statement

Hey guys, thank you for your votes and comments.
Continuing from the last part,

When Monami opened her eyes, she saw a dark blue sky.  There was a new moon, thin and bright, hanging just above the horizon.

She was still in Karan’s car. The surroundings were familiar. It’s the parking lot of their apartment. Karan didn’t turn on the lights inside the car. Thin yellow light from the street lamps shone through the windows.  

Karan was sitting on the driver’s seat beside her. Looking out from the window.

Kya soch rahe hain aap?”  asked Monami.

Karan tapped his finger on the dashboard: “ ‘He didn’t appear.”

Monami knew that Karan didn’t arrange any surveillance at the crime scene to give ‘him’ the opportunity to leave a note  - that is, if he was still alive. There were a lot of people up on D2 hill peak today. If he wanted to sneak up as a police officers or forensic staff, it would have been very easy.

But there was nothing. 

Is ‘he’ dead?”  Monami asked.

shayad.”

He turned to look at her.  

The interior of the car was very dim.  But the shadows accentuated his well-shaped features - his body, his face… His eyes sparkled like stars, looking at her.  

It flustered her to have him staring at her. She cleared her throat and asked: “What’s up?”

E.T!” He says softly: “Hume ek new rule bnana hoga.. From now on, jab bhi hum koi case investigate kar rahe hain.. tumhe humesha.. meri reach me hona chahiye.. 24/7..” 

Monami: “Mujhe second half jo sentence woh samjh aa gya.. But the first half. Ek min.. kya aapne.. E.T? You mean Extraterrestrial being… alien…”

Yea…” Karan smiled and opens his car door.  

Monami: “Hey…aap E.T.. aapki family E.T.. aapka dost E.T...nahi dost nahi.. even I am then..”

Karan walked over to her side. He opened the door and carried her out of the car. He said slowly: “Na hi main aur na hi meri family .. we all are not one with the bump on my forehead.”

————-

By the time they got inside Karan’s apartment, it’s 1am.

Karan put her down on the sofa. He went into the kitchen and came back with two ice packs.

After he sat down beside her, Karan pressed one ice pack on her forehead.  The bone chilling coldness caused her to gasp.  A smile appeared on his face: “You hold on to the ice pack.”

Monami quietly took over.

His tenderness towards her was only temporary. Then it’s replaced by teasing - ET, bump on the face, seeing how she reacts to the ice pack…. Like a school boy that ran around to pull the girls’ ponytails.  He was so immature!     

But then, he bent down and lifted up her left foot.  He removed the shoe, threw it next to the entrance, then rested her foot on his legs.  

She blushed, and didn't dare to move a muscle.  

He picked up the other ice pack and placed it on top of her left ankle. With his other hand, he pointed the remote at the TV and started watching a documentary.