Part 46 Caught but Got Injured

Hey guys, thank you for your votes and comments.
Continuing from the last part,

The long street was noisy with a never ending flow of cars, and the hustle and bustle of city walkers. The sun shone brightly in the lane that Karan disappeared through just a few minutes ago.

Monami decided to follow.  She got out of the car. 

It’s dangerous. But she will be careful. Karan is an academic. Now he is chasing after a mentally unstable killer. She can’t let him go alone.

A thought came to her mind as she passed through the crowd -

Even though he keeps saying the physical work should be left to the police, every time when he is face to face with the suspects, or saw someone in danger, he would rush to help. He knocked Saurabh unconscious with a stick, ran over to rescue the boy held captive by Reshma. And this. 

Arrogant, but firm in his beliefs.

Karan, please stay safe.

She was about go into the lane, when a few officers appeared. Monami was relieved.  One of the taller officers blocked Monami: “Stay here.” Then he and three other officers hurried into the narrow lane.

Monami anxiously looked in. Behind her, a lot of pedestrians were gathering. It’s too far away for Monami to see exactly what was happening. The police officers were blocking her view. She can vaguely work out there’s lot of movements, and then she heard a ‘dong’ sound, like something has fallen on to the ground. 

Don’t move.  Don’t move.  Put down your knife.” She heard the police shout out.  

Monami’s heart tightened. She saw Karan’s face for a split second. Then more police officers rushed past her.  Her views were completely blocked.  

We got him.  We got him.” Someone yelled out.  

Stay down!”

Someone is injured.  Please send an ambulance.” Someone else said.

Monami ran towards the officers and tried to squeeze past them to get to Karan: “Excuse me.  Excuse me…  main Professor Shergill ki assistant hoon..”

Professor ko bhi chot lagi hain.” Someone said.  

This was not good news. She pushed through even harder. People started to make way. She saw four or five officers holding on a man with blood shot eyes. He was still struggling to break free as the officers walked him towards the street to the police car.  Monami quickly stood to the side to let them pass. She recognised him from the photos emailed to them by the police. That’s Deboy.  

She hurried forward to find an officer lying on the ground. He has been stabbed in the stomach. There was a pool of blood beside him. He looked very pale. He was still conscious, breathing heavily and obviously in pain. Karan stood next to him.  There’s blood smeared on his face and suit. A few officers were standing around him.

Monami’s heart ached as she saw blood dripping down to the ground from Karan’s sleeves. 

What happened to you?  tum theek toh ho?” She asked anxiously.  She wants to hold his hand, but she is afraid she might accidentally touch the wound. She looked closer. There was a knife wound from his left shoulder that extended to his chest. 

She looked at the officer lying on the floor. His wounds are much more serious.

I am ok.  It’s just a flesh wound.” Karan said to her.