The Substitute Soul Reaper

Bleach – The Heart of the Matter

By Tayla Drago

'A very good Anime series here and got one in mind that I made up from long ago ever since it came on Cartoon Network/Toonami/Adult Swim...So, here's a back-ground review to get the main story soon enough. I promise. As well as adding things on what they say in an episode, just not some of them I'm unable to do with reasons. Please understand. Thank you.'

(Substitute Soul Reaper Saga)

In a barren location filled with white sand and craggy spires of blue rock, the shadows grow long over the desert, and two blobs of darkness rise from the shade into the air before bursting out of the clouds in the nighttime sky over Karakura Town. The two blobs reveal themselves to be invisible monsters that land on a riverbank running beneath a bridge below.

Elsewhere, a Jigokuchō flies toward a full moon while Rukia Kuchiki stands on top of a telephone poll nearby. Noting she senses a powerful Reiatsu, Rukia jumps to another telephone pole before leaping toward the town below.

Rukia: I feel it here. I sense strong spirit energy close by.

The following evening, at twilight, Ichigo Kurosaki stands in front of five skateboarding teenagers, one of whom is lying on the ground, while a belligerent Toshi-Bro confronts him over kicking down Yama-Bro, who lies unconscious nearby, and telling them to get out of his way. When Ichigo does not respond, Toshi-Bro demands he say something and angrily moves to punch him in the face.

However, Ichigo nonchalantly kicks Toshi-Bro in the face, and when the latter collapses, Ichigo continues to kick him in the back as his fellow skateboarders watch in horror. After driving Toshi-Bro's head through the concrete road, Ichigo directs the attention of the remaining skateboarders to the vase of flowers on the sidewalk behind him, which has been knocked over, and demands that Mit-Bro tell him what that is, prompting Mit-Bro to admit that it is a vase of flowers set up for a child who died in this location a couple days ago, which leads Ichigo to kick Mit-Bro in the face as well while confirming this is correct.

Ichigo asks the other two skateboarders why the vase is on its side, and when one of them reveals that they knocked it over while skateboarding, Ichigo kicks them both down before proclaiming that he will make sure people will have to put up flowers for their souls too if they ever do this again. Screaming in terror, the skateboarders apologize and run away, prompting Ichigo to note that they likely will not return if he made them that afraid. When Ichigo turns around and promises to bring fresh flowers tomorrow, the Dead Girl that the flowers had been set up for appears and thanks him for getting rid of the skateboarders so she can rest in peace.

After putting the vase of flowers back up, Ichigo tells the girl that she is welcome and that she should cross over soon before walking away while the girl fades from view. While he walks home in the night, Ichigo begins to outline his life: he is 15 years old and in the tenth grade, his family runs a clinic, and he has been able to see ghosts for as long as he can remember.

[Name: Ichigo Kurosaki

Hair: Orange

Eyes: Brown

Occupation: High School Student

Special Skill: The ability to see ghosts.]

Walking through the front door of his house, Ichigo announces his arrival, only to be kicked in the face by Isshin Kurosaki, who reprimands him for being late despite knowing dinner is always served at 7:00 pm, prompting Ichigo to ask if this is how he treats someone who just helped a spirit pass over.

Declaring that he does not care what Ichigo's excuse is, Isshin proclaims that anyone who disturbs the peace and happiness of his household will be punished while he butts heads with Ichigo. As he and Ichigo begin sparring fiercely, Isshin demands to know if Ichigo is gloating over the fact that only he can touch and talk to ghosts, only for Ichigo to remind his father that he did not asks to be born like this. Yuzu Kurosaki tries to tell her brother and father to stop it because dinner is getting cold, but Karin Kurosaki tells her to leave them along before nonchalantly asking for more rice, prompting Yuzu to express concern over her lack of reaction.