Battle within the Soul Society

Bleach – The Heart of the Matter

By Tayla Drago

(Soul Society Saga: Part 2)

As he rests in his cell with his arms restrained, 6th Division Lieutenant Renji Abarai is confronted by his Zanpakutō Spirit, Zabimaru, who berates him for still not being fully recovered.

Renji: Uuh, uhh....

Zabimaru: How long are you going to lie there?

Renji: Zabimaru....

With Renji bemoaning this being the first thing Zabimaru has said to him in a long time, Zabimaru asserts that they are fully recovered and ready to fight any time, which means Renji must follow suit and heal quickly so they can fight Zangetsu once more.

Zabimaru: Lazy scumbag.

Renji: We haven't seen each other in all this time, and that's the kind of greeting I get from you? Your manners certainly do leave something to be desired.

Zabimaru: I'm recovered and ready to fight again. It's time you did your part. Now get out of that bed and get healed so we can fight again. I want to take on that Zangetsu one more time.

However, while Zabimaru confidently declares that they will win next time, Renji reveals that Ichigo Kurosaki is no longer the one he intends to fight, and when a surprised Zabimaru inquiries about who his enemy is now, Renji clenches his fists and remains silent, leaving Zabimaru to dissipate as Zabimaru stops glowing red.

Renji: You idiot. You must've been brain-damaged in that battle. He's no longer the one I must fight.

Zabimaru: He's not? Well then, who is it? Who will you fight with now?

Renji: .......

Meanwhile, on the bridge leading to Senzaikyū, 6th Division Captain Byakuya Kuchiki attempts to finish off Ichigo by releasing his Shikai, Senbonzakura, only for Yoruichi Shihōin to suddenly appear with Shunpo and bind his blade before he can complete the release, shocking those present.

Hanataro: Yoruichi Shihoin...?

Upon hearing Byakuya say Yoruichi's name, a confused 4th Division 7th Seat Hanatarō Yamada wonders who she is due to having never heard this name before, though Rukia Kuchiki realizes that she has heard of Yoruichi. Byakuya identifies Yoruichi as the former Commander-In-Chief and Corps Commander of the Onmitsukidō before admitting that he thought she was dead after spending a hundred years in hiding. Thanking Yoruichi for coming to save him, Ichigo asks her to step aside so he can defeat Byakuya, but Yoruichi scoffs at the idea of him doing so and appears in front of Ichigo with Shunpo as she jabs her hand into his stomach wound.

Ichigo: Yoruichi, I need you to step aside so I can beat this guy.

Yoruichi: Beat him? Do you think you can beat this guy? You are a fool.

With those present astonished by this, a stunned Ichigo wonders what Yoruichi is doing and loses consciousness, leading Yoruichi to catch him on her shoulder after pulling her hand out alongside a large amount of blood.

Ichigo: Wha--

As he observes that Yoruichi shoved a powerful anesthetic like Gaten or Hōten directly into Ichigo's organs in order to knock him out, Ukitake questions what she intends to do with him.

Ukitake: It's a drug, isn't it? A powerful anesthetic force directly into his body to try to save him. What do you intend to do with him, Yoruichi?

However, Byakuya interrupts and asserts that her intentions do not matter because she cannot escape from here, and when Yoruichi makes fun of his attitude and reminds him that he has never beaten her at a game of tag, Byakuya invites her to try once more. When Yoruichi moves behind him with Shunpo while carrying Ichigo over her shoulder, Byakuya destroys the cloth binding his Zanpakutō and slashes at her, only for Yoruichi to dodge with Shunpo and reappear several feet away on the bridge. Upon seeing Byakuya appear behind her, Yoruichi moves several feet away from him before the two of them perform Shunpo leaps toward each other, resulting in Yoruichi bypassing a surprised Byakuya. However, as she smirks and lands on the far end of the bridge, Yoruichi is astonished to find herself crouching next to Byakuya, who mocks her for thinking she could escape with such slow Shunpo while slashing her across the chest. Suddenly, Yoruichi's falling body transforms into a cut piece of fabric as the real Yoruichi lands on a stunned Byakuya's outstretched arm and mocks him for believing that he could stop her with such slow Shunpo. After moving to the roof of a nearby building, Yoruichi promises to make Ichigo stronger than Byakuya in three days and declares that she will not be caught by the likes of Byakuya if he chooses to pursue her before vanishing with Shunpo and rapidly leaping across the Seireitei with Ichigo.