Chapter Fifteen

“Midas, I have to say, I do not understand the recent change in attitude. Did I maybe do something to upset you?" Midas, who was just about to get out of the now parked car after another silent drive to the campus, stops to cast Micheal a confused glance.

“I’m not sure what you mean.”

"I'm sure you know exactly what I mean. You've been acting different and I'd like to know why" he confronts and Midas sighs, speaking his next words with utter resignation.

"Believe me, I'd like to know why too. I mean, for freak's sake, it's not like we were involved in any way and you even have a girlfriend, I'm just-"

"Girlfriend?" Micheal was quick to intercept, failing at masking the urgency in his words before saying , "Salma 'was' my girlfriend."

"And now I'm even more confused" Midas breathes out, causing Micheal to blink, mouth hanging open, equally as confused.

"Hold on. I don't get it. Were you upset about the thought of me having a girlfriend? Why? Didn't you have a boyfriend?" Midas makes a small 'tch' sound before repeating.

"Boyfriend?" Micheal nods, brows still pulled together in confusion, "Is this about- you actually believed Jason and I were dating?"

“I think we should talk, Midas,” Michael resorts to saying.

“I don’t want to say anything to you and, I'm already running late for class” Midas says, already exiting the car before the older could get another word in.

“You’re making it difficult for me if you keep acting this way” Michael sighs into the silence the car, his head going back to rest against the seat.

.
Cameron runs a hand through his wet hair, the warm water from the shower head cascading down his naked body.

"It's fine if you wanted me to redo the whole thing or had fired me because it was just that bad, but don't you think it's too inhumane for you to just throw it away? I knew this day was going to come and that was exactly why I had a resignation letter ready even before I started working here, because I heard a lot about you and even witnessed first hand just how much of a total jerk without an ounce of human feelings that you are! I was prepared for this but before I leave let me ask you this. Do you think any one of your staff is here because they actually want to? Sure the pay is great, but your company that you are so proud of is a literal hell for your workers because of how awfully you treat everyone!" The words make another round in his head again, just like they have since the moment she had angrily stomped out of his office the day before.

He turns off the water and grabs a towel before heading out of the bathroom. He changes into a robe before entering his bedroom, where he was greeted by Chloe and two other girls who stood stiffly next to his bed where his outfit for the day, -a gray three piece suit and a box of neatly polished shoes, sat.

After getting dressed in the solitude of his dressing room, he comes out and waits to be handed a perfume by one of the maids, who drops it before it could reach his palm. The bottle shatters into pieces and the maid immediately falls to her knees, scurrying to pick up the broken shards of glass with a string of apologies falling from her lips.

Chloe rushes to grab her hands before she could hurt herself with the broken glass and with a collected font, she turns to Cameron.

"I apologize, Sir. I'll have her fired immediately"

Cameron blinks, continues to stare at the way the maid still trembles on her knees, fingers quivering in Chloe's hold and breathes out an unamused 'tch' sound, "She wasn't wrong. You would all rather not be in my presence" he mostly mutters that to himself before announcing the rest of his words, "Leave it. Just get me another bottle."