Chapter Forty-five

In the silence that engulfs the car, a pin dropping could be heard. Cameron never stops stealing awkward glances at Midas who simply smiles back whenever he catches his gaze, causing the older to snap his gaze away, sometimes clearing his throat awkwardly.

“Will Mr. Jack be waiting for you at home?” Midas finally speaks, attempting to create a less stiff atmosphere at least.

“No, he’ll meet me at the office.” Cameron responds immediately and Midas nods with a small 'Ah.'

Not too long after, the car pulls over in front of Midas' school and with an appreciative hum, the younger makes to leave but Cameron's words has him stopping midway, "I'll be back...... To get you and uh, take you home."

Midas tilts his head in question, Cameron finally looks up at him and repeats, "I'll be here to pick you up later." And the younger cracks a smile at that, waving him off.

"You don't have to do that. I know you're busy with work, besides, there's someone whose whole job is to do that." Midas supplies and he regrets it almost immediately as he is reminded of Micheal, he misses him.

"But I want to. I've been missing out on too much because of work and right now I just want to work on being a better brother and a more active member of this family. So please, let me."

Midas sighs, he relaxes back into his seat and turns to face Cameron, "Is this because of what Byron said back then? You're feeling bad....or guilty?."

Cameron purses his lips before blurting a quiet, "Both."

“I really meant it when I said I was fine though. You really don’t need to put any pressure on yourself be-”

“But I’m not okay,” Cameron intercepts, his voice shaky.

Midas exhales deeply, chewing slightly on his lower lip. “Honestly, I don't want you to feel like you have to go out of your way to please me. I know you're trying....... to make amendments and just that fact alone is okay for me. I don't blame you for anything, I understand just how much rests on your shoulders. So please, don't push yourself too hard."

Cameron sucks in a breath, facing Midas fully too, "Midas, I'm sorry. For everything. I know I haven't been the best big brother for as long as you've known. I should never have just watched it happen, you growing farther and farther away from me, but believe me when I say I've never stopped watching over you. Now, I'm just going to be more present like you deserve. Like you want me to be, like I wished I could be and I was just too stupid and blind to see."

At this Midas smiles so brightly that Cameron feels his eyes threaten to shut, "I'm happy you want that too. Thank you." Midas says in a hushed tone. Cameron is unable to stop himself before he was leaning in to pull the younger into a hug. It was unexpected on Midas' side but very welcome. He has no memory of when last he'd gotten to hug his oldest brother, it's been that long ago that it's gotten lost somewhere in his childhood memories. It felt new, but it was a kind of change Midas decided he wouldn't mind as Cameron soothes down his back like he would a child, for some reason Midas thought that felt familiar.

Cameron clears his throat for what felt like the nth time that day when they separated , back to feeling a little awkward and stiff. Midas giggles against his palm.

"So.... about later, will you let me pick you up? I promise I'm not busy, I cleared out my schedule just so I can do this for a while," Cameron confesses and Midas feels warm as he nods.

"Sure. I'll be waiting..... Don't be late!" He teases, doning a stern look and Cameron nods vigorously and with enthusiasm.

"I'd never." Cameron finally smiles as Midas gets out. As he drives away, he sees Midas waving at the car and Cameron can't help but feel like he'd just signed the biggest contract of his life.