Chapter Nineteen

"I really really really really do not want to be a part of this dinner" Byron complains again, like he had since the second they exited the car and he suddenly stopped being as solemn as he'd been during the car ride. Now they were in his room, Charles listening to him with a bored expression while two maids were in either side of him, smoothening down his suit.

"You know you have to, Byron. It's the boss' birthday" Charles replies, walking to the table to drop one of Byron's discarded ties.

"Luna," he suddenly calls to the woman, gaining her attention and Charles' as he asks, "You don't think I should go too, right?" He asks with wide eyes, seeking some kind of support.

"Now, why would she be of such an idea?" Charles asks from where he stood, at the same time Luna gives a soft smile, knotting a tie around the taller's neck.

"Because, it's not advisable that I go, why do I even have to be there!"

"I think you should go because it's the boss' birthday" Luna finally answers, Byron groans, she may have said it gentler and even with a smile, but at this point, it sounded like they were programmed to give the same answer.

"Exactly!" Charles agrees almost immediately, sounding victorious. "Very nice reply, Luna!" He cheers and Byron rolls his eyes.

"Where is the present, Luna?" Charles asks as he walks closer to the pair.

Luna finally takes a step back, joining the girls who had deemed him ready and presentable.

"It's already in the boss's room," She replies, Byron's brows raises in curiousity.

"Is that Dad's present?"

"Yes," came Charles' response, "I asked her to have the girls leave it in his room for you,"

"Ah, all right then" Byron says with an unimpressed look, while Charles who noticed his expression decided not to bother him in asking him anything, clapping his hands together and checking his self out in the standing mirror.

Charles takes a step closer to him at this, before saying quietly, "You made a promise, Byron."

Byron scoffs at the seriousness in his tone, "Geez, calm down. I'm aware of that, and I promise I won't make trouble today." He assures with a nonchalant shrug which wasn't very effective in assuring the older man.

"I know you're upset right now, but please leave the confrontation until after today and this dinner. I'm sure your older brother would have some questions too but would consider it wiser to leave it for now, so please, let's not let our emotions get the best of us today."

Byron gets the urge to reply with a very sarcastic, 'yes Dad', but he swallows it down, Charles' worries were valid and he seemed genuinely concerned so he settles for the more reassuring answer, "I get you Charles, really. While it is true that I have questions, like you said, I don't have to ruin this night for him to make them heard. I just..... Don't understand where exactly he's going with this decision and why he made it in the first place" Byron sighs, voicing his own concerns and Charles' gaze softens.

"I understand that too. But I'd like you to believe he has a reason for whatever he's doing. He hasn't been seen with a woman, talk more of inviting them over in years. And now that he's decided to do so, we should wait for his explanation, right?" Charles explains gently and Byron exhales loudly again.

"Yeah, sure."

.

"Did you remember to have Mr. Charles talk to Byron about not making a mess tonight?" Cameron asks, the car driving them to the location of the birthday dinner.