Chapter Sixteen

"Paris? We're really going to Paris?!" Iris pulls to a sudden halt from where she had been quite literally running after the boss' who unsurprisingly took very long steps.

Cameron turns around to face Iris who asks, more quietly this time, "Are we..… really going?” He fights back the twitch of his lips at the evident excitement mixed with uncertainty in her tone before replying.

“Yes, we will be leaving after my dad returns. I still need to talk to him about it. He’s currently on a business trip that he’s been on for about a few weeks now and will be returning tomorrow,” He explains, uncharacteristically calm and Iris nods in understanding before she seemed to curl in on herself, Cameron very well expected the next words that she mutters as she looks everywhere else but him.

"But..... You fired me."

As he looks down at her bowed head, Cameron feels an unexplainably soft tug on his lips, one could almost say he was endeared. He abruptly takes a step closer, prompting her to take one back, that seemed to remind him of what situation they were in before he clears his throats, both hands going into his pockets.

He starts, taking one quick glance around their surroundings, "I never do this, but, about yesterday, I was wrong, and I am.... sorry" the continuos pauses he took between his words had prompted Iris to raise her head to meet his eyes and he did not fail to notice the way her eyes grew wide as saucers.

"S-sir?" She immediately stutters out, disbelief evident in her tone and expression, "You're apologizing? To me? A-are you being serious right now? I mean, you do know it's me you're talking to right now? Miss Iris, your secretary?" She laughs awkwardly in between her words, still reeling with the shock and Cameroon fights back the urge to roll his eyes because 'damn, he knew now just how awful he is, no need to rub it in'.

“I understand you're shocked at the sudden turn of events since it would surely be the last thing you'd expect from me, Miss Iris. But I am being serious right now. And, I wanted to say Good job on that proposal, it was accepted and that is why we would be going to meet with them in the first place. I'll have Mr Jack stay behind to make sure things are in place here and-"

"So it's just going to be just us?" She intercepts, and wow, Cameron actually hated it so much when they did that, but he swallows the reprimanding words that had threatened to leave his lips on reflex and settles for a resigned, "Yes, Miss Iris. That is, if you are willing to return to work, which I hope you are." He finishes with a smile he hoped didn't come out as awkward as the stretch of his lips felt.

"You want me back? To work?"

"Yes, Miss Iris, that is the entire reason I am here in the first place. Your job is yours if you still want it"

She lets out what sounded like a mix between a squeal and screech, even jumping for joy before she seemed to remember whose presence she was in. She covers a hand over her mouth and seemed to be forcing her excitement down, bowing multiple times. ''Thank you! Thank you so much!" She continues to chant, almost in tears.

Cameron actually cracks a genuine smile at that, that feeling of relief and contentment was there again as he says, "No, thank you for coming back"

After a few more minutes, -mostly consisting of Iris sniffling as she continues to mutter about how embarrassing her tears was whilst wiping furiously at them, they say their goodbyes.

Cameron shakes his head when Iris continues to wave at his car as it disappears into the distance. He even spares a stiff wave of his own because it'd be awkward if she just stood alone waving at a car whose driver doesn't reciprocate, right?

Iris screams now that she was alone, beyond excited at the fact that she not only got her job back but wasn't in any kind of trouble.

.