Chapter Sixty Eight

"I believe you already know who I am" Mr Smith questioned the moment Gina took the sofa opposite him, both of them now in her office.

She stared blankly at the man, no idea how to take the notion of Mr Smith appearing in her office randomly.

"Yes, you're Byron's Dad, Mr Smith" she finally got out with a nod causing the man to let out a half smile

"Good to know, so do you know why I'm here today?" He asked casually.

"No, I can't help but wonder what could be the reason for my boyfriend's dad's sudden visit" She answered, lips drawn into an unamused line piecing together the cards he's currently playing.

"Boyfriend?" He said with a sneer

"Yes, you're my boyfriend's father, correct?" She retorted firmly, a faint smile on her lips.

"And you think I'm open to carrying such a title?" He challenges.

"Well, i don't think I've given you a reason not to" she stated, Mr Smith blinking continuously at her unintimidated stance.

"I see you're a bold one" He said with a breathy chuckle, nodding as he maintained eye contact.

"I'll take that as a compliment, Thank you, Sir" She continued, unrelenting.

"You know......I can't accept you for my son" he voiced, seemingly uninterested as they both held the other's eyes, the air tense as he expected a reply, some discomfort from her side, pleading, surprise? ......but nothing came, Mr Smith let out a breath, eyes narrowing before continuing; "Did you hear what I just said?" He asked

"Yes, I was actually expecting a continuation, because you must have a reason for saying that, right? So lay them out, then I'd speak" she enunciated, maintaining her rigid stance.

"You demand reasons for my statements?"

"Yes, Sir"

"Well, let's just say I'd prefer him not dating someone almost twice his age, someone he can love freely and be comfortable around" He finished as she let out a loud scoff, looking to the floor as she took before turning to look back at him.

"Love? Age? Comfortable?" She questioned in disbelief, "This is preposterous, the last time I checked, Sir, I'm in a relationship with your son because I love him. And age? Who cares about age when there's love and healthy communication in a relationship? It's not like he's a child, you say it like he's a toddler, I'm only 5 years older than he is and we're both adults. And comfort? I could bet my whole fortune to the fact that he's more comfortable around me than he'd be around you, so i don't see why you'd have a problem with me, you could either just accept the fact that we're together or don't, it's not our problem" She spoke out, determined to not allow the man's words affect her, no way she's letting him walk all over her because what? She's with his son? Over her dead body.

Gina comported herself, eye twitching as the man in front of her did nothing but smirk, an amused smile on his face as he took in her words.

.
Iris walks into the living room to find that her mother already let the 'guests' in as Mr Smith, Mr Fredrick and the older woman sat in wait for her.

"He said he's Cameron's Dad" Her mother was the first to speak as her face brightened with a smile.

"Yes, mom, I know who he is' ' Iris replies, as she sat next to her mom, eyeing the man sceptical as she wondered why he was here.

Mr Smith watched her take a seat, giving her a half hearted smile before starting; ".....Iris, is it?" He said

"Yes Sir, that's me" she replied timidly, not meeting his eyes